Upgrade ASPOSE.CELL & WORD to latest version

We currently use ASPOSE.WORD version 15.12.0.0 and ASPOSE.CELL version 4.8.2.0 for our .NET applications based on .NET framework 3.5 and hosted on windows 2008 R2 platform.

We have an OS upgrade requirement from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 by the clients and they want to purchase the latest ASPOSE license for ASPOSE.WORD and ASPOSE.CELL which would support the same applications on the same framework 3.5 on 2012 R2 platform.

Below are the questions:

1. License Cost for latest version of ASPOSE.CELL and ASPOSE.WORD
  2. Since our application code use earlier version of ASPOSE.CELL and ASPOSE.WORD, we would like to assess code upgrade effort from current version to new version of ASPOSE. For that purpose, Can we use same code to latest version of ASPOSE or does it require code changes?

Please let us know if you need any more details to answer our query.

@sanand.kumar,

For your queries.

1. Please post your query into Aspose.Purchase section for your licensing queries, one of sales staff member from Aspose.Purchase forum will help you soon there.

2. Well, you will require code changes a bit since you are upgrading from (older) version, i.e., v4.8.2.0. I will share details for Aspose.Cells APIs. You should upgrade to latest versions of the product as over the years, we have included lots of enhancements, new features and other fixes to make the product more robust, reliable and feature API. Also. you got to update your code segment accordingly if you are upgrading to latest APIs set of the product.

We did enhance the APIs structure in the newer versions a bit, we obsoleted some members (which we already mentioned in the docs description about those obsoleted methods (every now and then), the obsoleted methods are finally excluded after 12 months time since it was first announced) and replaced with certain members in the APIs set to make them more organized. The latest versions of the product are more robust and feature rich too.

Important: The older Workbook.Open method is obsoleted and you may use Workbook constructor instead now, see the sample code below for your reference:
e.g
Sample code:

//Instantiate the Workbook object and open an existing Excel file.
Workbook workbook = new Workbook(“e:\test2\Book1.xlsx”);

Let me sum up the most significant changes you should be aware of (you might know some of these already) when upgrading to newer versions or latest APIs set:

1. You need to import the relevant namesapaces or use fully qualified naming when declaring objects for classes etc.:
    e.g
    using System;
    using System.Web;
    using Aspose.Cells;
    using Aspose.Cells.Pivot;

etc.
    we have moved certain APIs to the respective namespaces:
    i.e.,
    Aspose.Cells Contains all classes of Aspose.Cells
    Aspose.Cells.Charts Contains all classes of chart and sparkline
    Aspose.Cells.Drawing Contains all classes of shapes and fill format
    Aspose.Cells.ExternalConnections Contains all classes of external connections
    Aspose.Cells.Markup Contains all classes of smart tag
    Aspose.Cells.Pivot Contains all classes of PivotTable
    Aspose.Cells.Properties Contains all classes of document and worksheet properties
    Aspose.Cells.Rendering Contains all classes of Rendering image and pdf
    Aspose.Cells.Rendering.PdfSecurity Contains all security options of Rendering pdf
    Aspose.Cells.Tables Contains all classes of Table(List Object)
    etc.

2. Some classes are renamed especially collection classes, so you should update your code accordingly if you were using them. e.g
    i) Validations → ValidationCollection
    ii) PivotTables → PivotTableCollection
    iii) Worksheets —> WorksheetCollection
    etc.

3. Aspose.Cells.Style property is eliminated/obsoleted now, you should adjust your code to use Aspose.Cells.GetStyle() and Aspose.Cells.SetStyle() methods/ approach, it will also enhance the performance to certain extent:

e.g
                                  Your sample code using Style attribute should be updated accordingly, e.g
                                 Style style =   wsNdaa.Cells[0, 0].GetStyle();
                                 style.Font.IsBold = true;
                                 wsNdaa.Cells[0, 0].SetStyle(style);
                                 Styyle style2 = cells["I1"].GetStyle();
                                 style2.HorizontalAlignment = TextAlignmentType.Center;
                                 style2.BackgroundColor = System.Drawing.Color.Navy;
                                 style2.Font.IsBold = true;
                                 cells["I1"].SetStyle(style2);

We recommend you to kindly see the Aspose.Cells for .NET Docs for your reference, especially the topics in the sections/ sub sections:
Aspose.Cells for .NET|Documentation

Please see the API Reference pages especially for your complete reference:
Aspose.Cells for .NET | Aspose API References

Check the featured demos/examples:
GitHub - aspose-cells/Aspose.Cells-for-.NET: Aspose.Cells for .NET examples, plugins and showcases

Let us know if you still have any issue while upgrading to latest versions or confusion, we will be happy to assist you.

PS. Regarding Aspose.Words, you may post your queries in Aspose.Words forum and one of our colleagues from Aspose.Words team will help you soon.