Upgrading an older aspose.words on windows server

We have an older version of Aspose.Words on our server (about 14). We just purchased an upgrade. What is the fastest and easiest method to upgrade our Aspose.Words to the new version?

Can we upgrade without having Visual Studio installed on the server?

We have a windows server 2012, use classic asp, and have a ComWrapper registered.

Thanks,

@adventurousbooks,

Please try the following steps:

• Open Visual Studio and create “Class Library” project and add a reference to latest Aspose.Words assembly. If you already have a COM Wrapper project, please remove the old Aspose.Words reference from it. Clean the project and then add again the reference to latest Aspose.Words assembly.
  • Build the project.
  • Now, you should make your class library (wrapper) signed and visible for COM.
  • After building the project, you should register the DLL again using the following command:
    regasm /codebase AsposeComWrapper.dll
  • Once your helper (wrapper) DLL is registered, you can use it in your classic ASP code.

Hope, this helps.

What does this mean?

*** Now, you should make your class library (wrapper) signed and visible for COM.**

In other words, what do I have to do after I build the project and before I register the DLL?

@adventurousbooks,

We are working on your query and will get back to you soon.

@adventurousbooks,

You first need to Create a Public-Private Key Pair, then Sign the Assembly with a Strong Name. After that you will be able to register the assembly by using the regasm /codebase command. Hope, this helps.

Why do I need to sign the assembly. Can I make eveything function without signage. Just remove the fpk file?

@adventurousbooks,

If you do not sign the assembly then the RegAsm command will not work. We see the following message in Develop Command Prompt for VS 2017 on our end.

Microsoft .NET Framework Assembly Registration Utility version 4.6.1590.0
for Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6.1590.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

RegAsm : warning RA0000 : Registering an unsigned assembly with /codebase can cause your assembly to interfere with other applications that may be installed on the same computer. The /codebase switch is intended to be used only with signed assemblies. Please give your assembly a strong name and re-register it.
RegAsm : warning RA0000 : No types were registered