Using a Shared DataSource

Is it possible to use shared datasources? I opened an existing RDL and is showed me the shared datasource, but when I tried to create a new dataset against it I got the error “Query Creation Failed”.

Using an existing RDL is a one way process right? You can create the datasource and datasets in Visual Studio, but once you import it into Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services there is no going back.

Hi,

Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services does not support shared data sources.

Please check your Excel installed Microsoft query when getting the error “Query Creation Failed”. Using an existing RDL is one way process. Visual Studio can open RDL which is created by Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services. But it only gets base data information. And, it does not get style and Excel features.

Thank you.

OK, the error is due to the shared datasource then. Why on earth aren’t they supported? Unfortunately thats a fundamental maintainability issue for us…

And you features list says that you do support shared datasources “In addition to this, Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services supports both report specific data sources and shared data sources created on Report Server in advance.

http://www.aspose.com/reporting-services/excel-component/key-features.aspx
Hi Amjad Sahi - can you clarify please.

[quote user="CoolKiwiBloke"]And you features list says that you do support shared datasources "In addition to this, Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services supports both report specific data sources and shared data sources created on Report Server in advance."

http://www.aspose.com/reporting-services/excel-component/key-features.aspx

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services.

You are right. The product pages say that shared datasources are supported. So we will test shared datasources and update the pages accordingly.

Hi,

First, Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services Client (Report Designer) supports to get the shared data source of report define file which is created by Visual Studio. But it cannot add new dataset or edit data set through shared data source because MS Query does not directly access data from data source of report define file.

If you find this error “Query Creation Failed”, please try following operation/ steps.

1. Select from Microsoft Query menu item and run Microsoft Query form.

2. Close and re-open Excel.

3. Add data source for Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services Client.

The feature is only used through Microsoft Query about adding data source and editing data set.

Thank you.

OK understood. So the million dollar question.

Lets say I create, in Visual Studio, the data sources and data sets I need for a report.

Then I use Aspose.Cells to create the design and layout of the report using the data sources and data sets created in Visual Studio.

Everything is good, everyone is happy, until a change it required to be made to one of the data sets.

How can I make the change to the data set without re-building the entire data set using MS Query and without having to re-layout the entire report using Aspose.Cells.

Is there some way to re-import the data sources and data sets from a Visual Studio report?

Hi,

I am afraid currently there is not any way to do that. I have logged a ticket with an id “SSRS-40136” for your feature request. Our concerned developer will try to find some time to analyse it and try to find new way to do that.

Once we have any update on it, we will let you know here.

Thank you.

Hi,

Please try our latest version/fix: Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services v2.3.0.2 (attached).

We have added new feature for changing data set without re-building the entire data set using MS Query.

Please try the latest version (attached) and refer to the following operations:

1. Open report definition file with Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services Client in MS Excel.

2. Click Build Data Set button (refer pic1).

3. Select data set node and click edit button (refer pic2).

4. Update SQL command and click update button to update fields (refer pic3, pic4, pic5, pic6).

Thank you.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SSRS-40136) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.