Validation doesn't work at first

Scott,

Thank you very much.

After a further investigation, I find this problem doesn't occur on Excel97 but does happen on Excel2000 or later. But I cannot reproduce this problem with code in my machine. Really an odd problem.

Laurence,

A sample project has been sent to at the nanjing@aspose.com e-mail address. YOu will be able to replicate the issue as well as see how our engine utilizes ASpose to generate the sheets.

Please keep me informed as to your findings as we would still like to use Aspose in our product.

-Scott

Dear Scott,

Please try this attached fix.

Laurence,

Quick question. We don't reference a library in any of our projects called Aspose.Cells. Our solution runs off of the Aspose.Excel.dll version 3.6.2.3. This was the library we sent you in the sample project. Does Aspose.Cells replace Aspose.Excel?

Scott

Laurence,

OK I see the dll was renamed. So I took the project I sent you and referenced the new aspose.cells.ddl library from the excel engine. I then opened up the file and globally replaced all references to aspose.excel to aspose.cells. When I compiled I got two errors saying that width and height were not properties of the Aspose.Cells.Comment anymore. So I changed the name th HeightCM & WidthCM.

The project then compiled with the the new dll. I ran the project pointing to the data I sent you and downloaded the sheet in the "Store line Review Cycle" for user SL10. It threw an error because our license says our ability to get upgrades ran out on 3/1. (we will get an updated license) So I changed the expiry in the license file in the bin directory in the excel engine to 2007, and the sheet generated. it put an evaluation warning in the sheet but I am ignoring that because we will secure a new license. I am now looking at the sheet titled SEL_Group (it is the first worksheet). The comments work in column "N" and the drop downs work in column "P".

Ok, so I highlight a cell in column M and hit save. then I try to access any drop down in column "P" and the problem is still there.

This doesn't have anything to do with the licensing does it?

Also another hint...... I generated the sheet above and opened it, and did not test the comments or drop downs. I put the cursor in column "M" and clicked save. Then I tested the comments and the drop downs and all works fine. After that I put the cursor back in column "M" and then saved again. Now the offending behavior is there. It is like, after a drop down is accessed and then the sheet is saved, the error is visible. How would excel be saving differently after a drop down has been accessed?

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Aspose.Cells is an upgrade of Aspose.Excel. This problem doesn't have anything to do with the license.

Could you post or send the output file generated with the new dll (without resaving in MS Excel)?

And could you try to re-open and save the file after generating it?

For example:

excel.Save("d:\\book1.xls"); // save the file as your current program

Excel excel2 = new Excel();

excel2.Open("d:\\book1.xls");

excel.Save("d:\\book2.xls");

Then please check if book2.xls also have this problem.

I have tried all your posted file with re-open and save action and all work fine. But since I still cannot make your program run in my machine, I wish to check this with your file generated with Aspose.Cells in your machine.

Is your template file created with MS Excel? Do you use other products to manipulate it?

Laurence,

Here is what I am doing as per your suggestion. (oExcelWriter is an instance of Aspose.Cells.Excel)

oExcelWriter.Save(sOutputFileName, FileFormatType.Excel2003)

Dim excel As Aspose.Cells.Excel = New Aspose.Cells.Excel

excel.Open(Me.txtOutputExcelFile.Text & "TestAsposeResults.xls", Aspose.Cells.FileFormatType.Excel2003)

excel.Save(Me.txtOutputExcelFile.Text & "TestAsposeResults2.xls")

So now I have 2 files in the output directory. the original and the one that was reopened and saved again They are attached in the zip file attached to this post. Both have only been saved by Aspose and not Excel directly.

Follow these steps on either file.

1. Open in excel. and go to worksheet "SEL Group"

2. Test any drop down in column "P"

3. Highlight any cell not in a drop down column Like "M19" and click save.

4. Try to test any drop down in column "P"

behavior is there. Here is something interesting though. Unzip the files again and Replace step 3 with Highlighting a cell in the drop down column say like P19 and click save. The issue doesn't show. but if you then move to another cell in another column and click save it is there again.

our template file is a blank excel workbook for this example. I just opened excel and saved a blank workbook and use it as the template.

Laurence,

That did it!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what did the issue turn out to be? (generally) I am very curious after all we went through to resolve this.

Thanks so much for the help.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

You are welcome.

Generally when opening templates, our strategy is to keep as many data as possible. So sometimes there are duplicate data with drawing objects(charts, images, comments ...). It works fine in most of situations.

However, this strategy fails in your case Smile [:)]. MS Excel can load these duplicate data successfully but when it saves them, problem happens.

I investigate much on this issue and find this may caused your problem so I tried to remove those duplicate data carefully.

Thanks Laurence,

This was our last hurdle. (For now).. We are going to renew our license today and include the most recent version you sent us in our product offering. It's a pleasure to be to able push the boundries of your product and be able to get support we need to make things work.

Thanks Again,

Scott

Hi Scott,

And thank you for helping us to make Aspose.Cells better.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me in this forum.

Laurence,

Guess what. The issue reared it's head again. I ahve attached a sheet that shows the behavior when you click on any of the drop-downs in column P, rows 19 through 26. It shows a drawing object (arrow) that should not be there. Aslo, notice how on every cell in the above mentioned range, if you select the cell it shows all the values that should be displayed in drop down format. All except P22, which shows just the first selection as it should. We have not been able to replicate this on amachine running excel 2002 or 2003. I am getting the version of excel that this sheet was generated with. Could it be tht they are running 97? If they are would that be an issue?

Let me know, and I will re-post when i know the version.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

In what situation this problem happens again?

they are also running 2002 as their version. I will try this fix and let you know.

Laurence,

That fix did not work the behavior is the same. Some interesting info however, There are a group of about 5 computers that have the same exact configuration as far as the OS and version of excel. One computer will download the files with no interference at all, and the rest display the issue. Should I be looking for an option setting on the client machine that would be contributing to the issue? It's very strange that one machine has no issue and the rest are having trouble.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

This is really a weird issue. Could you post two files here? One is downloaded fine and the other display this issue. Please don't save them with MS Excel. I need the raw files created with Aspose to check the difference. Thank you very much.

By the way, are those computers all installed with Excel with same build number?