Version 11.1.0 & MailMerge Regions

Dear Aspose Team,

we’ve found two severe problems in the Update from aspose.words for java 10.7.0 to 11.1.0:

1) Documents with multiple regions and wie call document.getMailMerge().executeWithRegions(datasource) for each datasource we support. With aspose 10.7.0 and earlier the function showed the correct behaviour replacing all matching regions. In 11.1.0 only the first region is replaced, the other regions are replaced with “”. IMailmergeDataSource.moveNext() or getTableName() or getValue() are not called.
In some other cases the first region is not executed but the first one with sub-regions.

the example document is regionsSinple.doc

2) Documents with regions around a page break and no Linebreak on next page:
Here the problem is really bad: An IllegalStateException is thrown. The full stacktrace you’ll find in stacktrace2.txt.
In 10.7.0 the mailmerge process can be ececuted with this document without errors/problems

the example document which produce the crash is regionsPageBreakNoEnter.doc
the example document which can be processes is regionsPageBreakAndEnter.doc

Kind regards,

Jens Boeckel
------------------------------
Software-Engineer
Abacus Research AG
Switzerland

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your query. Please accept my apology for late response. I am working on your query and will update you soon.

Hi Jens,

It would be great, If you
share data source CSV used for regionsSimple.doc for investigation
purposes.

I have worked with
regionsPageBreakAndEnter.doc/RegionsWithPageBreakNoEnter.doc and have
not found any issue while using latest version of Aspose.Words for .Java. Please share some more information about your second issue.

Hi Tahir,

I must apologize for my longer delay in replying to this issue.

To second issue:

could it be a problem calling MailMerge.setRemoveEmptyParagraphs(true)? I regnonized these two methods are deprecated. Could you tell me why is that? Is there any other not deprecated method to be called for this functionality?
If I take out the call there is any exception.

For Issue 1: You’ll find both document and datasource in asposeSimpleRegions.zip

Thanks a lot! Kind regards,

Jens Boeckel
Software-Engineer
Abacus Research AG
Switzerland

Hi Jens,

Thanks for sharing the documents. I have tested the scenario and have not found any issue while using latest version of Aspose.Words for Java. Please share your working environment like operating system, JDK version etc. It would be great, If you share your code also for investigation purposes.

Hi Tahir,

I made very simple tests (TestAsposeDocument.java) with which I can reproduce the exception with pagebreaks between a subregion.

With AsposeWordsForJava 10.7 is everything ok
With AsposeWordsForJava 11.1 an exception is thrown: testWithNoEnterAfterPageBreak_Exception().

[UPDATE]
I have also written a test for Issue 1: testMultipleRegions() and updated the zip file.

[/UPDATE]

Environment: Java 1.6.21-1.6.31/Windows Vista-7/Mac OS X 10.6/10.7

Kind regards,

Jens Boeckel
Software-Engineer
Abacus Research AG
Switzerland

Hi Jens,

Thanks for sharing the information. I have managed to reproduce the same problem at my end. I have logged this issue in our issue tracking system and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hi aspose team,

is there any update?

Thanks!
Kind regards,

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your inquiry. The issue (Exception while using mail merge with nested regions) has been implemented in the current code base and the fix of WORDSNET-6108 will be included in the next release of Aspose.Words (11.9.0) due out at the end of this month. We will inform you as soon as the new release is published.

Best Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-6108) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.