Use Aspose.Page for .NET to Process XPS Documents - Slow Performance

The evaluation behaviour of Aspose.XPS limits the generated file to just four XPS pages, which is far too low to do any realistic timings. So earlier this morning we renewed our licence so that we could evaluate Aspose.XPS properly.

I’ve attached a zipped VisualStudio 2017 project which simply Opens a supplied XPS file (containing 103 pages of text) and then just saves it out to disk again. The built project also dumps out how long each call takes.

On my development machine I got this report:

XpsDocument constructor took 2633.9404 ms
XpsDocument.Save took 39785.8302 ms

That’s around 2 s to open the document and then 39 s to save it out again. This is unacceptably slow.

We’re feeling particularly fed up that we had to pay first to update the licence before we could determine that Aspose.XPS was too slow to use.

Please fix Aspose.XPS so that its performance is much better - I’d like it to be around 10x faster.

XpsTest02.zip (4.8 MB)

@Brian_THOMAS

Thanks for contacting support.

We have tested the scenario in our environment (i.e. Intel Core i5 2.64Ghz, 8GB RAM) and observed that saving took almost ~17 seconds. However, we have logged a quality issue in our issue tracking system as XPSNET-43 to further investigate the scenario. As soon as we have some definite updates regarding resolution of the ticket, we will surely inform you. Please spare us little time.

In the meantime, please share your environment details with us as it would be helpful while investigating the scenario accordingly.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Hi Asad

My development VM reports this:

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v3 @ 2.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM

If my original test had taken 17 s instead of 39 s I’d still have logged this case as it’s unacceptably slow.

My expectation is that the Save time should be comparable to the Read time whatever system the code runs on.

@Brian_THOMAS

Thanks for sharing environment details.

We surely value your concerns which is why we have logged an issue in our issue tracking system. We will definitely share additional updates as soon as we have some after detailed investigation. Please spare us little time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as XPSNET-43) have been fixed in Aspose.XPS for .NET 19.1.

Thank you for this - the claimed fix is an improvement - the best times I saw when I repeated the test using aspose.xps.19.2 were:

XpsDocument constructor took 1631.9804 ms
XpsDocument.Save took 6548.9363 ms

But 6 s for a 100-page xps file is still too slow for our requirements. I’d like the Read and Save operations to each take no more than 2 s, and less than that if at all possible.

@Brian_THOMAS

Thanks for your feedback.

We have recorded your concerns and will let you know about further updates on this matter soon.