Weblogic development timeout

OK - here it is. I am attaching a zip file with an Enterprise Application created in Eclipse just for you.

Notes:

1. I used the latest version of Aspose Words for Windows library (11.4.0).
  2. I created an EAR and WEB project to make it the same as my development efforts.
  3. You should deploy the (exploded) EAR to Weblogic from withing Eclipse, do not build an .ear file and deploy directly to Weblogic.
  4. My license file is in the config folder of the EAR project - obviously replace this with your own.

As noted earlier I am using myEclipse Workbench version 8.5 and running Weblogic version 9.1
This is done to match the customer’s configuration for development and deployment. While I have tried this with Weblogic 10 and a newer version of myEclipse, that system is no longer available to me.

I used the following URL to fire the test Servlet… http://localhost:7001/AsposeStartupDelayTestWeb/servlet/test

Here are the results…
Begin open Document. time=2012-06-05 13:36:52.4
Finished opening Document. time=2012-06-05 13:37:18.101

Looks like it took 25 seconds.
Notice that I am not even opening a document, just creating an empty Document instance.
When opening a real document it takes so long that the request to the browser times out and the test case at hand is consumed (there is usually other logic tied to the creation of the Word document).

Subsequent calls to the test servlet return instantly, or in a few seconds when opening a file…
Begin open Document. time=2012-06-05 13:43:42.805
Finished opening Document. time=2012-06-05 13:43:42.805

Hi Michael,

Thank you for providing the additional information and your patience. We are working over you query and please expect a reply within next 24 hours.

Best Regards,

Hi
Michael,

Thanks for your patience. I have tested your scenario over the following test environment:

MyEclipse version 10.1

Oracle’s WebLogic Server version 10.3.0

Aspose.Words for JAVA version 11.4.0

JDK version 1.6

Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce this issue on my side. I have requested another Aspose.Words support engineer to take a closer look at your problem. He will get back to you shortly.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I just noticed this thread is still left open. Did you manage to fix the issue on your side or are you still in need of assistance?

Thanks,

1. No, I have not found a solution to this issue.
    2. Despite the last reply from Awais Hafeez, he did not say that he tested by hot deploying (exploded deployment from myeclipse to Weblogic). This is essential to the issue and I think I made that clear.
    3. I have spent way too much time on this issue. do NOT ask me to provide more information, download yet another new release or waste my time trying anything. I’m done.

Hi Michael,

We are sorry to hear you are still having problem getting things to work on your side. We of course do everything possible to reproduce the issue on our side so we can assist you further.

In this case perhaps the support developers did try to reproduce the issue using the method you presented but simply forgot to mention it in their reply. I will follow up with this with them to clarify. In any case, I will ask the support team to try hard once again to reproduce the issue that you are having. I will get back to you as soon as possible with any news.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Hi Michael,

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience faced. We have managed to reproduce this issue on our side. I have logged this issue in our bug tracking system with a high priority tag. The issue ID is WORDSJAVA-596. Your request has also been linked to this issue id and you will be notified via this thread as soon as it is resolved.

Please feel free to contact us for any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Hi Michael,

In addition to Tilal’s feedback, just to answer your original query our support developers did originally attempt to reproduce the issue using exploded deployment from myeclipse to Weblogic, however was unable to reproduce the problem at the time.

We have now reproduced the issue using another setup and will get back to you as soon as their is any analysis of the issue.

Thanks

Great,
Someone at Aspose gets a gold star for reproducing the issue.
I can’t wait to find out what is causing the delay, and what was your “other setup”.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your patience and cooperation. We just want you to keep updated about our progress of analyzing above issue. We have performed some tests against above scenario and notable of them is to increase the memory arguments of JVM as following which helped us to decrease time-lag to 20 secs, while opening a document from local drive…

-Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=1024M

We are about to finish our testing and will let you know about our final findings/suggestion soon.

Best Regards,

Hi Michael,

Regarding the issue you are having with first time lag when deploying Aspose.Words on your development server, we performed many tests on our side and have found that the cause of this issue is most likely not a bug. The delay is most likely caused by Aspose.Words being a large application which demands some time for compilation, loading, deployment etc. We are not sure how to optimize your particular Eclipse+Weblogic development environment

There may be ways to improve the load time by trying the follow tweaks:

• Rise all memory arguments like: -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=1024M (without disabling the JIT).
  • Find common ways to optimize Eclipse+Weblogic development environment.
  • Use Weblogic Fast-Swap to exclude reloading of unchanged classes. Or just rise page timeout for your test environment.

This issue is still open as we may take another look sometime later to see if anything can be done to help improve the load time. However in the mean time this issue is postponed.

Thanks,