Word 97 Doc saved as RTF?

We are evaluating your product. We are using Office XP or Office 2003 in our development. The minimum requirement for viewing the doc is Word 97. Our clients will modify the initial documents we create using Word 97 or higher. I ran your demos with success. I then changed the invoice.doc to a document that was saved as Office 97 from Office XP which saved it as an RTF document. It failed and the error is seen at the bottom of this post. Therefore, what would be the best process for us to follow in order to test and in order to not have issues when this is deployed to our client?

The error when in RTF format was this:

C:\Program Files\Aspose\Aspose.Word\Demos\Aspose.Word.Demos.WebForms…\Documents\Invoice_rtf.doc already exists
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Exception: C:\Program Files\Aspose\Aspose.Word\Demos\Aspose.Word.Demos.WebForms…\Documents\Invoice_rtf.doc already exists

Source Error:

Line 262: {
Line 263: Word app = new Word();
Line 264: return app.Open(string.Format(@"{0}…\Documents{1}", curPath, fileName));
Line 265: }
Line 266:

Hi,

Aspose.Word supports .doc format only. I’m not sure what you are trying to do with .rtf.
The error message “{1} already exists” is a bit confusing, but it seems to be thrown to us by the operating system when it fails to open a structured storage due to file format problem (it has to be .doc binary file).

Ok, but how do I then use newer versions of Word to save to the binary format of Word 97? It seems to only save to RTF format. I’m not sure all of our users who will administer the documents will have Word 97 if that is the requirement. I only know that the user population will have some instances of Word 97.

Thx!

If you just feed any Word binary file version greater than or equal Word 97 into Aspose.Word it will all work fine because the formats are compatible. The newer formats have some extra data, some of it Aspose.Word recognizes and preserves the rest.

Vice versa on save. Although we say Aspose.Word produces Word 97 format files we actually mean “Word 97 is the base file format” and it will be opened in all newer Word versions.

Thank you for the clarification. I thought I needed to save it as Word 97 format in order for our users with the lower versions to be able to read it. This meets our requirements.

Thx!

Mzzm