Word to PDF conversion not rending after being saved in Adobe Reader

I have an application responsible for taking a DOCX and converting it to PDF. In some use cases, users are opening the PDF in Adobe Acrobat and then resaving it as a PDF. When the resaved version of the PDF is opened, only the first page will render, while other pages are blank. This typically happens on longer documents (around 8 pages seems to trigger it) as well as sometimes documents with embedded images.

I have tried using Word to save the original DOCX as a PDF, and repeating the same “Save As” behavior in Adobe Acrobat and it does not repeat the erroneous behavior. This is only occurring on documents converted via Aspose Words.

I have attached an example, a DOCX with 150 pages of Lorem Ipsum text, a PDF converted using Aspose Words, and a PDF (dupLoremIpsum.pdf) which was resaved in Adobe Acrobat and doesn’t show any content past the first page.

I am using this code snippet to perform the conversion:

public static byte[] ConvertWordToPdf(byte[] docArray)
{

try
    {

MemoryStream pdfStream = new MemoryStream();
        pdfStream.Write(docArray, 0, docArray.Length);
        Document doc = new Document(pdfStream);
        pdfStream.Position = 0;
        doc.Save(pdfStream, SaveFormat.Pdf);
        pdfStream.Position = 0;
        return pdfStream.ToArray();
    }
    catch
    {
        return docArray;
    }
}

I am running:

• Aspose Words V 16.5.0.0
  • Adobe Acrobat Version 2017.009.2004

Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please note you are facing issue because of using same stream for reading and writing. Please use different stream for reading and writing as following, it will resolve the issue.

Document doc = new Document(pdfStream);
// pdfStream.Position = 0;
pdfStream = new MemoryStream();
doc.Save(pdfStream, SaveFormat.Pdf);

Best Regards,