21.12 broken compiler detection

I’ve added support to output docx files with Aspose.Words 21.11 on Linux, all was working fine till I went to test it on Windows.
21.11 had cmake issues on Windows, they have been fixed on version 21.12, had to change the code as you broke API, but then 21.12 has issues when compiling on Linux, GuessCompilerPrefix.cmake tried to execute the libc library!? which outputs “Permission denied” which is expected when trying to execute something that is not an executable.
22.1 works like 21.12
While writing this, I had an idea and it works:
replacing:
exec_program(${libc_path}
ARGS “”
OUTPUT_VARIABLE libc_output
)
with:
exec_program(strings
ARGS ${libc_path}
OUTPUT_VARIABLE libc_output
)
Could you please include this on next release?
Thanks.

@daniel.nicoletti Thank you for reporting this problem to us. I have managed to reproduce it. For a sake of correction it has been logged as WORDSCPP-1164 . We will keep you informed and let you know once it is resolved.

Hi, just an update on the mater, executing libraries does work if they have permission, which doesn’t seem to be the case on Ubuntu’s but it is on OpenSUSE, and the strings call breaks on OpenSUSE, so since you only provide binaries for glibc >=2.23 I believe this check should be removed entirely.

Hi @daniel.nicoletti. Thank you for the information. We are going to add several ways for checking glibc version. The check will work regardless of the distribution (OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, etc.)

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSCPP-1164) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for C++ 22.2 update.

1 Like