SSRS Barcodes evaluation watermark still there after license file put in

We just received the license file for SSRS barcodes today. I followed the instructions to copy the license file to both the SSRS bin as well as VS 2008’s PrivateAssemblies folder. We have the latest version (2.6.0) downloaded. The barcodes appear on the report, but we still get the “Aspose” evaluation watermark in the upper right corner of each barcode image. This happens in both Visual Studio when you preview the report, and directly in SSRS report manager after its published. I noticed that the license file was named differently than the DLL (Aspose.BarCode.Reporting.Services.lic versus Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll), but I made a copy of the license file under both names (dot in between Reporting and Services, and without) in both directories but no luck.

Hi,

Thank you for inquiry.

Could you please send me the license file, I will check at my end. Please zip/send via email using “Contact” --> “send saqib.razzaq” an email button on this thread.

I emailed you the license file. Let me know if you did not receive it.

Thank you, I have received the file and will check it shortly.

Hi,

I checked it on Windows 2008 R2, Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 R2.

VS 2008: Placed the license file at “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies”. Close and re-open VS 2008. Checked the design and preview of report, Aspose label did not appear.

However, when I deployed it and viewed in browser, I saw the Aspose label. We are looking into it further. I will get back to you shortly with further updates.

Could you please tell which version of Visual Studio, SQL Reporting Services and .NET framework that you have in your environment?

For our development server we are using Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server (SP2), SQL Server 2008 (NOT R2), Visual Studio 2008 (Developer), and the latest .NET is 3.5 SP1. The server is 32-bit, so my path for VS is the same as yours without the “(x86)”.

Our production environment is Windows Server 2008 (64-bit), SQL Server 2008 (again not R2), and .NET 3.5. I have not tested it on the production server yet.

I have also plugged the license and dll files in on our production server in the appropriate reporting services bin folder, restarted SSRS, and still get the “Aspose” watermark on bar codes. Our production server is Windows Server 2008 with SQL Server 2008.

Hi,

We are looking into it, sorry for the inconvenience. I will inform you as soon as I have an update about this issue.

Could you please use v2.5 until this issue gets resolved?

2.5 (and 2.4) don’t change anything. I tested out some things and I think this is related to how I am generating the barcode. I am using the code method that you have published in the Help documents — the workaround to generate an image of the barcode for plugging it into page headers or footers. When I switched to using a regular barcode object that you drop from the toolbar onto the page, the watermark disappeared (in a section of the page not in the footers). Is there something special I have to do to get access to the licensed version when calling it from code? I’m pretty much using the same code copied from the help. I need to be able to generate these barcodes in the page footers.

Hi,

Using the method described in http://www.aspose.com/documentation/ssrs-rendering-extensions/aspose.barcode-for-reporting-services/how-to-display-barcodes-in-report-header.html page, I managed to reproduce this issue. We will look into this. Thanks for the details.

Could you please try out the following workaround until it gets resolved?
Add the barcode from the toolbar as well in your report and set it’s “Hidden” property to true. Deploy and restart the SQL Reporting Services. The barcode from toolbar will be hidden, but it should at least make the Aspose label disappear from the header/footer images.

Adding a barcode object from the toolbar didn’t change the watermark of the code-created one, whether it was visible or not. I also tried moving the code-created barcode to the same area as the other one in the middle of the report (out of the page header) but nothing changed. The toolbar-created barcode did not display the “Aspose” watermark and the code-created one did.

I have verified that every copy of the dll that I’m using (in the Aspose’s SSRS2008 folder, VS2008’s PrivateAssemblies folder, and SSRS’s bin folder) have the same version of the dll (2.5.0), and that 2.5 is the one that is set up in the References section of the report. Also, there’s are two copies of the license file (one named Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.lic and one named Aspose.BarCode.Reporting.Services.lic) in each of those folders.

On each time I tested something different, I restarted SSRS after I had published the updated report.

This is the code in the report’s Code section that I’m using:

Public Function GetBarCodeImage(ByVal codetext As String) As Byte()

objBarcode.CodeText = codetext

objBarcode.SymbologyType = Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.Symbology.QR
objBarcode.CodeLocation = 2
objBarcode.XDimension = .6
objBarcode.YDimension = .6
'objBarcode.BarHeight = 15
objBarcode.EnableChecksum=0
'Generate the barcode image

Dim ms As New System.IO.MemoryStream

objBarcode.Save(ms,System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Bmp)

Return ms.GetBuffer()

End Function

This is what I have in the report’s Assemblies section:
Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices, Version=2.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=716fcc553a201e56
System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

Report’s Classes section:
Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.BarCodeBuilder (Instance Name is “objBarCode”)

The image placeholder for the barcode has the following:
Value=Code.GetBarCodeImage(“1234567890”)
MIMEType=image/bmp
Source=Database
Sizing=Clip

Also, I removed the item from VS2008’s toolbar and re-created it, making sure that it was referencing 2.5.0 before I added it to the report (I can see 2.5.0 in the tooltip when I hover over it, and have verified the dll it points to is 2.5.0).

Thanks for the information. We are looking into it. I will update you as soon as it gets resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Has there been any progress on figuring out why the demo watermark still appears on a licensed version when using the code method of creating barcodes?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, we are still trying to fix this issue. I will update you as soon as it gets fixed.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 30440) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(1)

I installed Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices 4.4.1 and now get this error when viewing my report with a barcode in the header:

Failed to load expression host assembly. Details: object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I am using a report that was working fine under 2.6 (although with the watermark still). The only change was that I installed the new version of BarCodes, then browsed to the dll file from the report references to switch it to 4.4.1.

I think this has to do with the Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.BarCodeBuilder object, because when I completely remove that class reference from the report properties (and don’t call any code), the report previews ok without the error (of course, without my barcode).

I do not see any changes to the documentation regarding putting barcodes in SSRS headers. The example displays a reference to version 2.2.0 so I’m wondering if the object model changed in 4.4.1 and the sample code is outdated.

Hi,

Sorry for your inconvenience.

There are two issues associated with this thread. One points to the problem in which you want to use barcode in Header/Footer of your report (30561) by using the example mentioned here. This issue is still unresolved and we are currently working on it. I have attached your recent comments and I will check back with development team to provide you with some ETA for this fix.

There is another ticket (30440) associated with this thread that is about the generic licensing issue that was reported in Aspose.BarCode for SSRS v2.6. As you were using the same assembly (v2.6) and your comments here presented the same problem so we have attached this ticket as well. This issue is resolved and you were notified regarding this update. By using Aspose.BarCode for SSRS, you will not get the evaluation watermark on toolbar (custom control) created barcodes.

We are sorry for the confusion but I am afraid, your original problem isn’t fixed yet. If your reports only have code generated barcodes then we suggest you to roll back to the previous version until the problem is fixed.

Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as BARCODREP-30440) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(1)