2D (DataMatrix) barcode can not be read out after upgrade from 4.1.0.0 to 5.7.0.0

We have a 2D barcode (DataMatrix format), it can be read in Ver 4.1.0.0, but after we upgrade to 5.7.0.0, it can not be read out. Even 5.9.0.0 and 6.0.0.0, it can not be read out.

We use Aspose.Barcode.Tollkit.exe with the same image, it can be read out in 4.1.0.0, but no barcode in 5.7.0.0.

I have attached the image. Could you please check this problem? It is very urgent. Thanks.

Hi Lena,

Thank you for contacting support. I tested your sample bar code image against the latest build of Aspose.BarCode for .NET 6.0.0. I managed to replicate the recognition problem. I have logged this problem under ticket id BARCODENET-33810 in our issue tracking system. Your request has also been linked to this issue and you will be notified as soon as it is fixed. We’re sorry for your inconvenience.

Any updates?

Hi Lena,

Thank you for asking about the resolution. I'm afraid. This issue is pending for analysis and not resolved yet. By the way, I would like to update you that our development team has plans to include the fix of issue id BARCODENET-33810 in our future release of Aspose.BarCode for .NET 6.2.0. It is expected to be released at the start April 2014. It's all depend upon if everything goes by plans. We will let you know once the issue is resolved.

Hi Lena,

It is to update you that as a workaround you can recognize DataMatrix code by using following source below and try using the latest version of Aspose.BarCode for .NET 6.0.0.

BarCodeReader reader = new BarCodeReader(@“2.png”, BarCodeReadType.DataMatrix);

reader.OrientationHints = RecognitionHints.Orientation.Rotate90;

reader.ImageBinarizationHints = RecognitionHints.ImageBinarization.MedianSmoothing;

while (reader.Read())

{

Console.WriteLine("Symbology: " + reader.GetReadType() + " CodeText: " + reader.GetCodeText());

}

reader.Close();

Result:

Symbology: DataMatrix CodeText: 10056004350113100300004

Please do let us know your feedback.

Hi,

Yes, after add below syntax, it can be read out.
reader.OrientationHints = RecognitionHints.Orientation.Rotate90;
reader.ImageBinarizationHints = RecognitionHints.ImageBinarization.MedianSmoothing;

1. But it is only for this barcode, right?
Can I add RecognitionHints.ImageBinarization.MedianSmoothing for all kinds of barcode? I'm afraid it will affect other barcodes can not be read. Could you please give me some instructions?

2. And another barcode as attached can be read using 5.7.0 and 5.9.0, but not using 6.0.0. Could you please check?

Lena

Hi,

Actually, in 4.1.0, I do not need to add these source. Could you please change to be like 4.1.0?

Thanks,
Lena

Hi Lena,

Thank you for sharing details.
hollytek:
1. But it is only for this barcode, right?
Can I add RecognitionHints.ImageBinarization.MedianSmoothing for all kinds of barcode? I’m afraid it will affect other barcodes can not be read. Could you please give me some instructions?

You are right. Let me elaborate a bit more that MedianSmoothing technique removes the noise from the image while preserving the image edges. It is a filter and fruitful for noised barcode images. You could find other details in this documented article: Better and Faster Image Processing for Barcode Recognition

There are several other factors contributing in scan failure, like the presence of noise in the image, skewed bar code labels, punch holes/white spots, etc. Severity of one such factor or a combination of two or more makes it difficult for the BarCodeRecognition algorithm to scan a bar code properly.
hollytek:
2. And another barcode as attached can be read using 5.7.0 and 5.9.0, but not using 6.0.0. Could you please check?
I managed to replicate the problem of recognition failure. It is extended vertically. I have logged this problem under ticket id BARCODENET-33821 in our issue tracking system. We’ll keep you update regarding the progress. We’re sorry for your inconvenience.
Actually, in 4.1.0, I do not need to add these source. Could you please change to be like 4.1.0?
Please note that each new release contains many improvements, bug fixes and new features. So we always recommend our customers use the latest version of Aspose APIs. Aspose.BarCode 4.1.0 is a quite old version.

PS: It is quite possible that your app’s end users come across some issues with an old version of Aspose.BarCode. In this case, this will become impossible for us to fix those issues in the previous code base.

Hi Lena,

In addition to the above reply, I re-sized this image and able to recognize it with ComplexBackground technique. I have attached this bar code image for your reference. You can control its size during the bar code generation process. I hope, this helps. In case, you are using Aspose.BarCode library to generate barcodes then please visit the helping example topic: Generate Barcode Using Custom Width Support

Hi,

With ComplexBackground technique, this barcode can be read.

But I think it is not reasonable. In 5.9, we do not need to use ComplexBackground technique, it can be read. And also to the previous barcode, it can be read in 4.1.0 without MedianSmoothing technique.

You know your product is integrated in our software, and our customers’ barcode may be various. So how do I know to add which technique? Because we don’t want to let customer to try the different technique. It’s better that there is a general way for all kinds of barcodes. Could you please give me some instructions? Thanks so much.

Lena

Hi Lena,

Thank you for these details. We could understand the problem. It is a workaround that you can check other techniques as well. We have logged these problems to provide you a general way for all types of barcodes. Please be patient and spare us a little time.

Hi,

For the first barcode I posted, it also can not be read in 6.2.0 without any settings. It need to set the Rotation. Actually, it do not need to set the rotation in 4.1.0.

Thanks,
Lena

Hi Lena,

Thank you for asking about the resolution. I’m afraid. It is not resolved yet. Our development team has rescheduled this issue in the next version 6.3.0. We’ll notify you once it is fixed. I have passed this information to our development team against the ticket id BARCODENET-33810. Please be patient and spare us a little time.

Hi Lena,

Thank you for being patient. We have a good news for you that the issue id BARCODENET-33810 has now been resolved. If there is no issue in the QA phase, then its fix will be included in the next version of Aspose.BarCode for .NET 6.9.0. We'll inform you via this forum thread as soon as the new release is published.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as BARCODENET-33810) have been fixed in Aspose.BarCode for .NET 6.9.0.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as BARCODENET-33821) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.