Is MS Office required to be installed for office to PDF conversion?

I am doing some R&D on different document to PDF conversion solution to be integrated in our product via .Net ONLY. I am NOT interested in PDF updation wrt merging, split, watermark etc any change to be done inside PDF. I came across yours on the website and have following questions.

1. What file formats are supported? Are all Office formats supported without requiring MS Office to be installed i.e. .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .xl, .xls
  2. Are following document types supported for conversion to PDF: odt, sxw, rtf, txt, ods, sxc, csv, tsv, odp, sxi, odg. If yes then any dependency like Open Office to be installed?
  3. Is it multithreaded?
  4. Any benchmarking you might have done?
  5. Is office doc to PDF/A 1A or 1B supported?
  6. Which products of yours I have to buy?

Hi,

Aspose.Total is a set of different Aspose components.

For your specific needs relating to specific component, you should ask question from their own forums.

You can find all the forums from this link.

I will guide you relating to Aspose.Cells for .NET.

Aspose.Cells for .NET can convert your Ms-Excel related files like xls/xlsx/xlsb/csv/ods etc into PDF directly.

1. You do not need any third party component or Ms-Office to be installed for this purpose.
  2. Also it supports PdfCompliance.PdfA1b.
  3. It supports multithreading.
  4. It also supports OpenOffice Spreadsheet documents like ODS.

For more help, please see this document.

For Ms-Word files, you need to post on the Aspose.Words forum.

Hi Wahaj,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please note that Aspose.Words for .NET is a class library that enables your applications to perform a great range of document processing tasks. Aspose.Words supports DOC, DOCX, RTF, HTML, OpenDocument, PDF, XPS, EPUB and other formats. With Aspose.Words you can generate, modify, convert, render and print documents without utilizing Microsoft Word®. For more information, please visit the following link:

1) Aspose.Words does not require Microsoft Office to be installed on the machine in order to work. All Aspose components are totally independent and are not affiliated with, nor authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. In short, Aspose.Words is a better alternative to automation in terms of security, stability, scalability/speed, price and features.

Aspose.Cells supports xls, xlsx etc.

Aspose.Slides supports ppt, pptx etc.

2) Please visit documentation links as above in point 1.

3) Could you please elaborate it little more?. I mean, what do you need to achieve?

4) Please find the article below for more details:

5) Please find the documentation below:

Note: PDF/A-1a is not fully supported. we will consider including this feature in one of the future releases.

6) You have to use each product separately for each format supported by particular libaray.

Note: Aspose.Total is just a kit of all Aspose products.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

wrt 3 I want multiples docs e.g. xlsx, .docx etc to be converted in parallel so I don’t want any bottleneck where the conversion is single threaded.

Also wrt buying… can I get a discount coupon? I am interested in Aspose.Total .net version

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.Total.

There are no issues of multithreading with Aspose componets. All components work great in multithreaded setup.

For your sales and discount questions, you should post on Aspose.Purchase forum.

Aspose.Purchase team will answer your all questions and will be glad to help you.

Have a nice day.

Hi Again,

We are testing the Aspose Total locally to get an idea regarding the performance we’ll get. For .doc and .docx the conversion into PDF is varying and not all document is converted. Can we get a trial license which can convert the full?

Also we are failing for few types of file - see attached the ones. See below the ones we tried with the particular module of Aspose Total and success/failure situation. I am concerned about the red ones. Can you confirm the limitations or what could we be doing wrong - Thanks.

extension Successfully converted Which module used
csv yes
doc yes
docx yes
odg no Word
ppt yes
pptx no Slide
rtf yes
txt no Word
ods yes
odt no Word
tsv no Word
xls yes
xlsx yes
sxc no Word
sxi yes
sxw no Word

Hi,

I am representative of Aspose.Cells components.

From your table, I found, all the conversions are successful with Aspose.Cells for .NET.

For trial license, you should post your query on Aspose.Purchase forum. As far I know, you can request for a 30 Day Trial License. Please also note one thing, Aspose components work in full capacity in limited version too except that they show Evaluation warnings.

For your issues related to other components like Aspose.Words and Aspose.Slides, the concerned team will look into your issues and update you.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes all conversions are successfull with Asponse.Cells for .Net so I am not concerned with that rather with the others. Yes its license converts very big sized xl files as well so no issue there but with .docx there is a limitation which I need to address for my testing of the performance to conclude. Also see attached an xl which takes more time than open office to convert. It takes 397 sec by Open Office to convert it to PDF where as 498 seconds by Asponse.Cells plus the resultant PDF is also bigger i.e. 3.3 MB as compared to Open Office which makes 2.7 MB. Why is it so big and slow?

I am bit in a hurry so a quick response from the remaining teams to sort out why conversion is failing is appreciated. Your quick response will help me suggest Aspose to my managers to conclude on the buying process. A response today is appreciated as I am going for few days off so want to conclude it today - Thanks

Separately the PDFs generated are not PDF/1B compliant. I was told that Asponse support that. I believe this is true for all of the data types I am aiming for. I am using the following code. Can you guys correct me where I am wrong:

Document document = new Document(_inputFileName);
string fileName = Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(inputFileName) + "" + Guid.NewGuid().ToString().Substring(0, 10);
document.Save(_outputFileName + “\” + fileName + “.PDF”, Aspose.Words.SaveFormat.Pdf);

Hi Wahaj,

Thanks for your inquiry. I am representative of Aspose.Words team. In addition, you can find a list of formats supported while loading into Aspose.Words DOM below:

Verified by Aspose.Words v.11.2.0

ODT loaded and converted into word document successfully.
SXW loaded and converted into word document successfully.
SXC Not supported.

TSV Not supported.
ODG Not supported

TXT format can be consider, so you can easily open TXT document using Aspose.Words:

http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsnet/How+to++Load+Plain+Text+(TXT)+Files

I hope, this will help. In case of further assistance, please let me know.

Hi,

I am representing Aspose.Slides.

You have shared that you have been facing issue while generating PDF from PPTX. Can you please share the source PPTX file with us so that we may reproduce the same on our end to help you out further. Please visit this documentation link to see how to export PPTX to PDF.

Many Thanks,

Hi Support,

There is another critical issue diagnosed, converted images quality in Excel is not good. We are exporting PDF using following code:

Workbook wrkBook = new Workbook(_inputFileName);<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

string fileName = Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(_inputFileName) + "_" + Guid.NewGuid().ToString().Substring(0, 10);

Aspose.Cells.PdfSaveOptions pdfSaveOptions = new Aspose.Cells.PdfSaveOptions();

pdfSaveOptions.Compliance = Aspose.Cells.Rendering.PdfCompliance.PdfA1b;

wrkBook.Save(_outputFileName + "\\" + fileName + ".PDF", pdfSaveOptions);

See attached comparative images of "original-image-in-excel.png" and

"converted-pdf-image.png"For more details, i also attached original excel file

kindly do let me know if more detail require but do reply ASAP as we are awaiting your reply for choosing your product.

Regards,

Wahaj

Hi,

Thanks for the template file and screen shots.

I am a representative of Aspose.Cells team. I can notice the issue as you have pointed via your screen shots. I have loaded your attached Excel file and convert to PDF using your code and the keyboard image in the ouput PDF file is not same as Excel.
I have logged a ticket for your issue with an id: CELLSNET-40629. We will look into it soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

Please download and try the latest fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET v7.0.2.5

This file has been optimized. We have fixed 3 main problems. Issue of line’s position need time to be optimized.

Hi support,

I am back again with new issues :)

There are further following issues have been observed:

1. Almost 90% of the images or charts used in the document are not properly converted/dispalyed.. Images transparency is also an issue, in converted PDF shows black. See attached original and output files [Table and Charts 1.odt, Tables and Chart 1.pdf, Tables and Charts 2.ppt, Tables and Charts 2.pdf]
  2. PDF/A 1b conformance verification process is failing. this produce in all components (WORD, SLIDES, CELLS). See attached images [PDF-A-1b-1.png, PDF-A-1b-2.png]

Kindly do reply ASAP

Regards,

Wahaj

Any update on this issue? Note that these conversions to PDF/A 1b was successful before using the time based license and the patch provided to us on 04th May 2012.

Its bit urgent…

Hi,

Could you please separate your issues that are related to Aspose.Cells for .NET and post them on Aspose.Cells forums?

Thanks for your help.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-40629) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.