3DS Max Import FBX - Geometry Lost?

I’m looking at the samples from your github:

https://github.com/aspose-3d/Aspose.3D-for-.NET/tree/master/Examples/CSharp

I’m trying to figure out why none of the fbx files that are created have any geometry when imported into 3ds max. All geometry data is lost!

I know the geometry exists, as you can see in a text editor when saving as ASCII. Also, the FBX is imported successfully into a Unity3d project with geometry intact! However being unable to edit it in 3ds max makes its use limited.

I’ve tried saving the scene as different FBX formats with no success Both 3ds max 2018, and 2012 I get empty nodes.

The exception I’ve found is the ConvertTorusPrimitivetoMesh example, which starts a scene by opening test.fbx. That fbx file already has a cube and cylinder in the scene, and they are retained when saved to another fbx, and still exist when opening in 3ds max. The example adds a torus, which doesn’t make it through the import process into 3ds max.

Is there some operation I need to do on my Scene to get it compatible with 3ds max?

TLDR: Open Aspose._3D.Examples.CSharp._Working_with_Objects.ConvertTorusPrimitivetoMesh. Run the example and import it into 3ds max. No torus exists.

Hi Alek,

Thank you for contacting support. We are investigating your query in the perspective of 3ds Max and will get back to you soon.

Hi Alek,

Thank you for being patient. Please download and try the latest Hotfix version 17.6.1 of Aspose.3D for .NET API (download link: Aspose.3D for .NET 17.6.1) and let us know how that goes on your side. We have fixed an editing problem of FBX in 3ds Max.

Hi Imran

FBX import into 3ds max works now. Thanks for the quick fix!

Hi Imran

Just a follow-up. UVs seem to be corrupted when exporting as FBX. Obj, however, is fine.

See the attached images for a comparison between FBX and OBJ outputs of the same scene.

Attached snippet of code.

Hi Alek,

Thank you for the details. We have logged an investigation under the ticket ID THREEDNET-274 in our bug tracking system. We have linked your post to this ticket and will keep you informed regarding any available updates. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Hi Alek,

Thank you for being patient. In reference to the ticket ID THREEDNET-274, please download and try the latest Hotfix version 17.6.2 of Aspose.3D for .NET API (download link: Aspose.3D for .NET 17.6.2) and let us know how that goes on your side.