4.8.0.0: Attempting to open protected workbook: Object reference not set

Hi,

We're using 4.8.0.0 of Aspose.Cells.

We're getting "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when calling the Open method on the Workbook object.

The Excel 2007 file has the option "Protect Structure and Windows" turned on (with password set).

If we unprotect the workbook then the Open method works fine.

When we specify the password in the Open method the same error is generated.

Anyone else see this? Is there an update to 4.8.0.0? I saw a posting where a customer received 4.8.0.11 from Aspose but I don't see that update on the download page.

Thanks for any help with this.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for considering Aspose.

Please try the attached version of Aspose.Cells for .NET. If you still face any problem, please share your template file with us and we will check it soon.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Thank you for making that update available to me. It resolved the problem.

Should our customer be concerned about deploying this update into their production environment? Of course, they will test their other applications with version 4.8.0.12 before moving the update to production but is their license or ability to obtain service affected in any way by installing this update?

Also, do you have a running history of changes for the versions of your components? In order to make our customer comfortable with deploying this update we would like to tell them what has changed between 4.8.0.0 and 4.8.0.12 and I cannot find on the Aspose website where this information is available.

Thanks,

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for considering Aspose.

Well, you can use this fix (Aspose.Cells for .NET v4.8.0.12) as an official release. It is an intermediate kind of version which is provided as a fix against some bugs. Normally, a bug fix version is posted in the support forums. You can use this fix for your requirements as long as you wish; it will behave like an official release. Moreover, it is to be noted here, our next official release would include all the functionality of the previous fixes (including all the intermediate versions till the next official release). Any of the fix / new release will work fine unless your license is not expired (license expiry date can be seen in the license file). Also, we will provide a complete list of updates / fixes done when we release the next official version (scheduled in next month).

Thank You & Best Regards,