NullPointerExceptoin trying to convert ppt to pdf (Mac)

I’m using the evaluation copy of slides for java (version 2.4.0)
java version 1.6 (Sun)

Here’s my code:

if (args[0].toLowerCase().endsWith("pptx")) {
PresentationEx doc = new PresentationEx(args[0]);
doc.save("out.pdf", SaveFormat.PDF);
} else {
Presentation doc = new Presentation(args[0]);
doc.save("out.pdf", SaveFormat.PDF);
}

Regardless of which branch it ends up taking, I get this stack trace:

com.aspose.slides.PptException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.lj.do(SourceFile:69)
at com.aspose.slides.Presentation.save(SourceFile:3401)
at com.aspose.slides.Presentation.save(SourceFile:3349)
at cvtppt.main(cvtppt.java:21)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.alj.if(SourceFile:208)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.ki.(SourceFile:21)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.alj.(SourceFile:20)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.ki.do(SourceFile:42)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.gr.do(SourceFile:44)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.sj.do(SourceFile:33)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.tc.do(SourceFile:90)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.aho.do(SourceFile:94)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.xq.do(SourceFile:38)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.jn.do(SourceFile:12)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.td.do(SourceFile:12)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.jn.do(SourceFile:12)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.uy.do(SourceFile:83)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.aho.do(SourceFile:55)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.lj.do(SourceFile:57)
... 3 more

I’ve tried this with dozens of files, and I can’t find any that work.

I’ve seen this stack trace in other posts here, but there wasn’t any resolution to the bug report, and it was on Linux instead of Mac. I’m in the process of making a purchase decision, and this issue has to be resolved if I’m going to move forward with Aspose.

Thanks.

Hello Dear,

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.Slides.

I have observed the stack trace shared by you. I suggest you to please use Aspose.Slides for Java 2.4.1 with your application. If you still feel any issue then please share the source presentation with us for necessary investigation on our end.

Thanks and Regards,

I downloaded the 2.4.1 slides, and the results are no different. I can’t share any of my presentations with you, but the issue is the same with this one:
http://www.iasted.org/conferences/formatting/Presentations-Tips.ppt
which you can download.

Hello Dear,

Thanks for sharing the test presentation. I have worked with the shared presentation and have been able to observe the issue specified. An issue with ID 24868 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the shared issue. This thread has also been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified, once the issue is resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

What is the status of this issue? Has there been any progress? I would like to evaluate your product for use in our system, but am unable to do it until I can see what kind of results I can get.

Thanks.

Hello Dear,

I regret to share that the issue is still not resolved. However, we have recently shared Aspose.Slides for Java 2.4.3. I am also verifying that whether your issue has been fixed in the mentioned release. You may please also verify the same on your end as well.

Thanks and Regards,

Unfortunately, I got identical results. Could it possibly be that the crash is in the code that injects the “Evaluation copy” watermark? I don’t understand how something so very basic can be completely broken.

Please provide an estimate for when this can be addressed. This is affecting a purchasing decision that we must make very soon. We won’t buy your product unless we can evaluate it.

One more bit of information. I downloaded an installed a temporary license for Apose.Total for Java. It seems to be working (thumbnails generated no longer have the watermark on them) but the conversion from ppt->pdf is still crashing, apparently in the same spot.

Hello Dear,

I have set up the Mac environment on my end and have been able to verify the similar issue even with Aspose.Slides for Java 2.4.3. I have updated the issue description in our issue tracking system and have requested our development team to share the possible time frame for the fix of issue. I will share the information with you as soon as some information is shared by them. Secondly, the evolution watermark appearing is never the cause of the issue faced by you. Moreover, there is no difference in terms of evolutionary version and licensed versions, except that of evolutionary watermark are removed in licensed version.

Thanks and Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 24868) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

Hey guys,

Same exact issue (same exception stack) happens with your latest aspose.slides version 2.5.0
on linux debian 5.0

275850 ERROR {http-8080-1} [com.companyName.exporter.api.onlinereportingexport.impl.PDFOnlineReport] exportOnlineReport [Mon May 30 12:13:26 IDT 2011] Cannot write to file: /home/exporter/shared/11-05-30-12-13-21.pdf
com.aspose.slides.PptException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.aku.do(SourceFile:69)
at com.aspose.slides.Presentation.save(SourceFile:3532)
at com.aspose.slides.Presentation.save(SourceFile:3496)
at com.companyName.exporter.api.onlinereportingexport.impl.PDFOnlineReport.close(PDFOnlineReport.java:49)
at com.companyName.exporter.api.onlinereportingexport.OnlineReportingExport.exportOnlineReport(OnlineReportingExport.java:83)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

Please assist,
Thanks,
Sarah

Dear Sarah,

I like to share that unfortunately I don't have Linux Debian 5 distribution available. I am setting up the environment and will share the response with you as soon as possible.

Thanks and Regards,

Hey Muadassir,

Any updates about this issue?

Thanks,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I am working on the issue as I am encountering issues in setting up the environment. I will share the information with you as today hopefully.

We are sorry for your convenience,

Hey Muadassir,

Any progress?

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I have been working on the installation of the desired environment on my end. Can you please share the source presentation for further investigation as the very simple presentation that I used did not throw the exception. Please also share the source of presentation as well for reference.

Thanks and Regards,

Hey guys,

I’d really like an answer on this.
Thanks,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

As mentioned in my former post, I have requested you to kindly share the source presentation for necessary investigation on our end.

Thanks and Regards,

Sorry,

For some reason I didnt notice the second page for this thread.
I will check and return with an example.

Thanks
Sarah

Please see attached example.

Please note that this does not reproduce on windows platform but only on linux.
we checked on debian 5.

Thanks and best regards,
Sarah