"Edit Data" Option in PowerPoint Is Not Working for "Line with Markers" Charts

Hello,

We are using version 16.5.0.0 of Aspose Slides for .NET and the “Edit Data” option in Powerpoint does nothing on Line with Markers charts that are saved using Aspose and we desperately need it to work.

Here is a code snippet:

public static string CreatePresentationFromTemplate(string pptxFile)
{
var fileName = “TEST.pptx”;

if (File.Exists(fileName))
File.Delete(fileName);

var pres = new Presentation(pptxFile);
pres.Save(fileName, Aspose.Slides.Export.SaveFormat.Pptx);
return fileName;
}

If the file in question contains editable Line with Markers charts the resulting file will not allow you to edit them, all of the other chart types that we have encountered for this work fine, Its just the Line with Markers that behaves this way.

The end goal is to create a full presentation from a presentation template.

Help!

Hi Ian,

I have observed the sample code shared by you and request you to please share the source presentation and generated presentation file with us. We need to investigate the issue further on our end to help you out.

Many Thanks,

Hello,

I have attached the requested samples.

LineChartsForumSample.pptx is the original file.

LineChartsForumSampleResult.pptx is the original file that has been opened and saved in Aspose Slides for .NET.

If you need anything further let me know.

Thank you so much for the prompt response!

Hi Ian,

I have worked with the presentation file shared by you and have been able to observe the issue specified. An issue with ID SLIDESNET-37601 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be fixed.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESNET-37601) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.

The 16.6.0 Update made the issue worse.

Using the exact files and code that I posted previously, the file generated is now corrupt. I get an error in PowerPoint telling me that the saved file needs to be repaired, then the repair removes all of the slides.

If you need any further info please let me know.
This functionality is absolutely critical to the success of the project for us.

Ian

Hi again,

Here is a sample of the generated file with version 16.6.0 of Aspose Slides for .NET.
I have not yet opened this one, I wanted you to see it before the repair.

Thanks,
Ian

Hi Ian,

I have worked with the presentation file shared by you using Aspose.Slides for .NET 16.6.0 on my end. I have not been able to observe issue in saved presentation. For your kind reference, I have attached generated presentation as well. Can you please try opening the saved presentation on your end.

Many Thanks,

I can open your sample but I can not “Edit Data” on the line chart, are you able to?

If this is something on my end can you make any recommendations as far as what could be wrong?

Thanks!
Ian

If I diff the internal files of both presentations by adding a .zip extension the only difference I can see is that my embedded excel is .xslm and yours is .xlsx. is this the problem in your opinion, and if so, how do I address it?

OK, quick update…

If I extract the embedded excel, save it as xlsx, replace the xslm, update the internal xml to reference the xlsx instead of the xlsm, then change it zip back to pptx it works great.

So, from looking at your upload, it looks to me like this updated version of Aspose Slides for .NET has the ability to change the xlsm to a xslx, why would this not work for me? Is it a setting somewhere? Is it a dependency somewhere?

Please Advise.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have observed your comments and like to share that I am even unable to open the chart in edit mode for your source presentation as well. So, this is some thing in your source presentation. The saved presentation is behaving the same way as source presentation. Can you please share if you are able to edit the chart in your source presentation on your end.

Many Thanks,

HI,

The source file: LineChartsForumSample.pptx which I originally posted, is the source file, and I can edit data on the line chart in that file with no problems.

I do have to Enable Editing on the source file first.

And the new version is still corrupting my files.

Are you using the code snippet I provided or is there additional code I need to implement?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have reopened the issue shared in light of information shared by you. We need to further investigate this on our end. We will get back to you as soon as further feedback will be shared by our product team in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

I was wondering if there was any update on this, can we expect a fix soon?

Thanks!

Hi Ian,

I like to share that the issue shared is still under investigation. Can you please provide the complete PowerPoint version that you have used on your end to reproduce the issue.

Many Thanks,

Sure,

I am using Microsoft PowerPoint 2013(15.0.4841.1000) 64-bit

Hi Ian,

Thank you for sharing the information. We will share the feedback with you as soon as it will be shared by our product team.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

I have a quick update for you.

I have found a way to prevent the corruption I was experiencing in the new version but the edit data option still does nothing, I used openxml, here is what I did:

ISlide slide = null;
IChart chart = null;

foreach (var sld in presentation.Slides)
{
var chartIndex = sld.Shapes.ToList().FindIndex(x => x.GetType() == typeof(Chart));

if (chartIndex == -1)
continue;

IChart cht = (IChart)sld.Shapes[chartIndex];

if (cht.Type == ChartType.LineWithMarkers)
{
slide = sld;
chart = cht;
break;
}

}

var wb = chart.ChartData.ReadWorkbookStream();
using (var rawData = SpreadsheetDocument.Open(wb, true))
{
rawData.ChangeDocumentType(DocumentFormat.OpenXml.SpreadsheetDocumentType.Workbook);
rawData.Save();
chart.ChartData.WriteWorkbookStream(wb);
}

So, it seems to me that this is an issue that is cause by the xlsm and the Aspose libraries are choking on the embedded macro enabled file.

I hope that helps!

Ian

Hi lan,

Thanks for sharing the information. We will share good news with you as soon as it will be shared by product team.

Best Regard,