ADA Accessible PDF Docs from Aspose.Words

We have a need to add ADA Accessibility tags and other structures to docs created by Aspose.Words .NET and saved in PDF format.

The quality of the PDF we get is generally pretty good, and looks visually perfect, but things like Tables and Heading Styles (H1, H2, etc) do not get translated. They all get tagged as simple Paragraph when they reach the PDF world.

I can find no Accessibility options related to saving from Word to PDF (except for PDF/A which is NOT what I’m looking for).

How can I address this?

For Reference:

We are currently using another toolkit (NOT Aspose.PDF) to manipulate the PDF side. We have the Aspose Total license, so we are OPEN TO using Aspose.PDF if is would help with this issue.

@pcleaveland Could you please attach your input and output documents here for testing? We will check the issue and provide you more information.

Here are the files.

We want the Accessible version showing H1, H2, etc.

We can’t tell if those characteristics were saved by Aspose in the first PDF output.

Have begun experimenting with PdfSaveOptions, but I think my version is out of date.
Will download latest and keep trying.

@pcleaveland Please use the following code to get the desired output:

Document doc = new Document(@"C:\Temp\in.docx");
PdfSaveOptions opt = new PdfSaveOptions();
opt.Compliance = PdfCompliance.PdfUa1;
doc.Save(@"C:\Temp\out.pdf", opt);

out.pdf (119.4 KB)

Yes, I see that. I confirm it works.

I was trying to fit the Word based PDFs into the same workflow we were using of other PDF documents, which involved a separate Accessibility step using a third party tool.

I see PdfCompliance.PdfUa1 gets me the intended result.

Thanks

1 Like