All complex elements fail when converting from XLSX/XLS to PDF

We are evaluating Aspose as a potential component of a solution for our customers in which thumbnail images are generated automatically from office documents when uploaded to our enterprise application via a multi-step back end process.

Unfortunately, my preliminary research has shown that while Aspose Excel to PDF conversion handles simple spreadsheets quite well, the inclusion of anything I'd consider a complex document element is either ignored or represented in an unpredictable, corrupted manner.

The elements I have found to cause problems are listed below:

Office 2007

§ XLSX<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

o Smart Art

o Excel chart

o Conditional formatting

o Images

§ XLS

o Smart Art (odd artifact)

o Excel chart

o Conditional formatting

o Images

Office 2003

§ XLS

o Images

o Charts

o Shapes

In regards to the unpredictable/unsatisfactory handling of these complex elements, I'm trying to verify if this behavior is

A. A known limitation of the Aspose technology approach to PDF creation unlikely to change in the near future

or

B. A simple defect that can likely be resolved quickly and easily by the Aspose team if made aware of these issues on a specific point-by-point basis.

Any insight shared would be greatly appreciated, as this sort of known limitation/defect makes the decision of whether or not to pursue an Aspose-based solution considerably more difficult. I have noticed similar behavior with powerpoint slides and Word and have open issues with those teams.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Are you using our .NET or JAVA product? Could you please post your sample file here? We will check it ASAP.

For JAVA product, we are working on developing new xls2pdf feature and there are many limitations now.

For .NET product, Smart Art is not supported in xls2pdf conversion. For chart, shapes, conditional formatting and images, we already supported them. However, some 3D charts are not supported yet.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />We are continuing to enhance xls2pdf feature and will solve your problems based on your sample files.

We've been evaluating the .Net product.

My sample files are attached.

Hi,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you for considering Aspose.

After testing your template file with the latest version of Aspose.Cells, we found that following issues does exist:

Office 2007

XLSX

o Smart Art

o Conditional formatting

XLS

o Smart Art (odd artifact)

o Excel chart

o Conditional formatting

o Images

Office 2003

XLS

o Shapes

We have registered your issue in our internal issue tracking system with issue id CELLSNET-13318. We will look into them and get back to you soon. Also, you may download and try our latest version form the following location:

http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/.net-components/aspose.cells-for-.net/entry215207.aspx

Thank You & Best Regards,

Thank you for the prompt reply. We'll look at grabbing the most recent version of Aspose.Cells - thanks for pointing out that we were behind.

At the point when you're ready to communicate a timeline for resolution of any or all of these issues, that would be greatly appreciated so we can plan our release accordingly.

Thanks,
Andrew

Is there any update on CELLSNET-13318?

Hi,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Well, we are currently working on some important tasks on hand and as your required features are complex and will take time, so we will start working on them after completing our current tasks.

Thank you for understanding,

Any update on the resolution of this issue? We would still like to include this functionality in a feature in an upcoming release.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Well, we are working on shapes and other features at the moment. But, I am afraid, it will take some time to support all your desired features because the features are complex and needs some time to be supported. Anyways, we will check if we can provide you our plan and time frame for the features. We will get back to you soon.

Thank you.

Hi ,

Please try the latest version 7.0.3:

http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/.net-components/aspose.cells-for-.net/entry342530.aspx

We have supported most of features except Smart art and word art now.