We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Aspose.BarCode - Migrate to New Server with New SSRS version Unlicensed Aspose text shows with Barcode

My customer migrated from a server with SSRS 2008 to new server with SSRS2016. I migrated all reports including the aspose barcode dll and license file, but now when the reports are executed on the new server all barcodes show the aspose text like it is an unlicensed version. I was told that I could use the old DLL (2010.09.10) and old License file on the new server without any issue. Any ideas on what might be causing the aspose text to appear on the barcodes on the new server?

You can emulate the license search from SSRS 2008

The utility seaches instances in:
LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\RS

Then it searches path in
LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server[Instance_Name]\Setup
SQLPath=

Then it creates path from “SQLPath” variable data and predefined path value
[SQLPath_data]+“ReportServer\bin\Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll”

From SSRS2016 SQL path is changed to RsConfigFilePath. So you need to add variable “SQLPath” with path to “ReportServer\bin\Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll”

In new version of the dll, the license can be added to the registry with ConfigLicense utility, so you don’t need all of this magic.

Thank you, Alexander. I found the RSConfigFilePath in the Registry, but are you saying I need to add a SQLPath registry entry in the same location as the RSConfigFilePath and point it to the location of the DLL? Will it look for the license in the same location?

Based on some of my testing (switching between the old DLL and the new DLL and getting different barcode displays in the reports) it seems that SSRS is already using the DLL in the path you mentioned (ReportServer\bin\Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll). I’m trying to figure out why the license key file that I have in the same directory is either not being recognized as a valid license file or not used at all which I presume is why the aspose text continues to appear with all of the barcodes on the reports.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

No, you need to add SQLPath with the path that points to path “ReportServer\bin\Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll”. It is harcoded in the old dll version. New versions uses licenses from registry mostly, this approach has less problems.

And the “ReportServer\bin\Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll” must contain dll of any version and license file.

Main problem with SSRS2016, that it instances rdl file and dll into temporary folders but it does not copy the *.lic file. So without adding path to the registry the engine cannot find license file in the instanced folder.

UPDATED
Also problem could be if you install SQL2016 in 32 bit mode on 64 bit OS. In this way you need to copy:

LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\RS
LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server[Instance_Name]\Setup
to WOW6432Node registry node

I tried making changes to the registry, but that didn’t resolve the issue. I checked on your other question and those registry nodes do not exist. Is there anything else that might resolve the issue? Is there something else I can look for? I included a screenshot of the registry entry I added.

image.png (15.8 KB)

@mtfrayler,
We are looking into this issue and will share our feedback soon.

The main problem here that the issue cannot be reproduced on our side. I am investigating how license setting can have be broken.

utils.zip (21.5 KB)

Found the problem. It is related to the issue:

When you install two instances of Reporting Services it searches license only in the first instance folder. This is bug and you can see this in MSSQLPath utility attached to the message.

In beginning of 2012, license setting from the registry was added. In this way all Aspose.BarCode for Reporting Services versions from version 4.5.0 support multi-instances of reporting services on the same computer. But for this you have to add license to the registry, manually or with ConfigLicense utility.

In this way the solution could be: