Aspose Email From value has changed with java version upgrade

When upgrading from Aspose Email version 22.6 to 23.8 and a special patch version 23.8.0.1, we’re noticing that the email From values have changed significantly for some of our email messages and this impacts our clients. What led to this change and can we use options to enable/disable this behavior?

Here’s a code sample and a sample file is attached. In version 22.6, returned values for “From” from the mail message appeared as “Enron Announcements/Corp/Enron@ENRON” and in version 23.8 or 23.8.0.1, a special patch version, the From value appears as “Derryl Cleaveland.@ENRON”. There are similar changes in the From email address.

Code example:

MsgLoadOptions mlo = new MsgLoadOptions();
mlo.setKeepOriginalEmailAddresses(setKeepOriginalEmailAddresses);
MailMessage mailMessage = MailMessage.load(“BET.PC.00000072.msg”, mlo);

MapiConversionOptions mco = MapiConversionOptions.getUnicodeFormat();
// keep empty dates when converting a message
mco.setPreserveEmptyDates(true);

MapiMessage mapiMessage = MapiMessage.fromMailMessage(mailMessage, mco);

System.out.println(“MailMessage From=” + mailMessage.getFrom());

BET.PC.00000072.zip (5.1 KB)

Hello @jmuth,

Your issue is taken for investigation. We’ll contact you as soon as we have results.

Thanks for reporting your case.

Hello @jmuth,

I have compared the output result with releases 22.6 and 23.8(23.8.0.1), From value is the same:

22.6 output
MailMessage From="Derryl Cleaveland.@ENRON" <IMCEANOTES-Derryl+20Cleaveland+2E+40ENRON@ENRON.com>
23.8 output
MailMessage From="Derryl Cleaveland.@ENRON" <IMCEANOTES-Derryl+20Cleaveland+2E+40ENRON@ENRON.com>

If you save the mapiMessage to a file and then open it with Outlook, you will also see the same view for 22.6 and 23.8, with From value:

Enron Announcements/Corp/Enron@ENRON <IMCEANOTES-Enron+20Announcements_Corp_Enron+40ENRON@ENRON.com>

23.8 Outlook screen (11.9 KB)

Could you add more details on how we can reproduce the issue on our side?

Hi, Sergey,

Thanks for the quick response. Let me make sure that the repro steps I’ve sent are correct. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks, Jerry

Hi, @jmuth,

We will be waiting for your reply.
Feel free to write to us if you have any additional query related to Aspose.Email. We’ll be glad to assist you further.

Hi, Sergey,

I think you’ll see that the behavior is different for version 22.6 vs 23.8 or 23.8.0.1 when, in the code sample above, the value for setKeepOriginalEmailAddresses is set to false. I’ve attached a file that shows the differences in the output. Please let me know if you see something different.

Thanks, Jerry
Aspose_Email_From_Picture_Versions.zip (27.5 KB)

Hi @jmuth,

We have fixed an issue with the From and Sender MIME headers (23.5 Aspose.Email version)

Original MSG headers(PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS)

From: "Derryl Cleaveland.@ENRON" <IMCEANOTES-Derryl+20Cleaveland+2E+40ENRON@ENRON.com>
Sender: "Enron Announcements/Corp/Enron@ENRON" <IMCEANOTES-Enron+20Announcements_Corp_Enron+40ENRON@ENRON.com>

Sergey,

Thanks for clarifying the change that was made here. We’ll need to determine how we want to handle from our end. I believe this ticket can be resolved. Appreciate the help.

Jerry

Hi, Jerry,

Feel free to write to us if you have any additional query related to Aspose.Email. We’ll be glad to assist you further.