Aspose.Grid.Web error on test server

Hello!
I'm testing the Aspose.Grid.Web control to view Excel files in my ASP.NET pages.
In my machine i don't have any kind of problem. All works fine.
When I move my web site, in a test server, I can't use the control anymore. I try to describe my situation:

- The server is a Windows 2003 SP1 and run on a virtual machine. My application runs on a web site that have the application pool identity set to NT Service.
- When I access to the page and try to view an Excel file I obtain the classic window popup for the credential (username and password).
- I think that the popup prompt is caused by the faulting of the w3wp process. I see many errors in the eventviewer.

Anyone can help me?
Thanks,
Alessandro

Hi,

I think that the error is caused by the wrong file access right settings. Please show me the messages in the event log here. And you may check the security settings of the application folder. Make sure that the files can be accessed by the default asp.net user "ASPNET".

Hi,
I'm not at work in this moment and I can't post the exact event log message, but it's something like: "faulting w3wp.exe process .......".

First of all I checked for the permissions. I set the everyone group permission for the files and folders. In my server I don't use the ASPNET user. In the server I have many Application Pools and the one that I'm using runs under the NT Service Account.

In the application web.config I set the identity tag, but with the Everyone permission I think that every user must read the file. Infact if I try to access the excel files directly from browser I can open them.Moreover I don't obtain a 401 error, but something else. When I return to work I'll post the exact error.
I think that for some reasons, the ASP.NET worker process (w3wp.exe) fail (and this is confirmed by the event log) and so the username/password popup is shown.

Is there a "debug" execution mode for the Aspose.Grid.Web component? What kind of test I can do to check the problem?

Thanks,
Alessandro

Hi,
This is the event log message:

Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.1830, stamp 42435be1, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.2756, stamp 44c60f39, debug? 0, fault address 0x00015e02.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'm trying different users, but I have the same problem.
When the w3wp.exe process fails, the user/password prompt is shown.

For test I try to use the overload of the function ImportExcelFile and pass a MemoryStream object.
My code is:

GridWeb1.EditMode = False
GridWeb1.WebWorksheets.Clear()
GridWeb1.WebWorksheets.ImportExcelFile(getStream)

GridWeb1.WebWorksheets.ActiveSheetIndex = 0
GridWeb1.WebWorksheets.ActiveSheet.UnfreezePanes()

Now I have another exception: System.StackOverflowException was unhandled
I use the same file! And in my machine all works!

Hi,

You may post your source file and excel file here or mail them directly to me. We will check the problem.

The code it's a little complex. The stream is returned from a file that is saved into SharePoint, but it's the same with a file that is save locally. And it's not the particular excel file the problem. I have the same problem, with every excel file!
I'm trying two way to open Excel files:

GridWeb1.WebWorksheets.ImportExcelFile(getStream(Session("docID")))

GridWeb1.WebWorksheets.ImportExcelFile(FilePath)

The first one use streams and cause the stackoverflow problem. The second one use the path of the file and cause the other problem. If i test in my machine i don't have problems. Both of them works and they works with the same files that cause problems in my server, so i don't think it's a problem of excel files.

Alessandro

Hi,

Would you please paste the complete error message here?