Aspose is not working on Virtual Servers

We are using Aspose.Words V4.1.1.0 for our two applications .net 1.1 and .net 3.5 respectively. It is working fine. But we are in the process of moving our current production server into virtual environment. We tested our applicaitons in virtual environment and it seems like Aspose works sometimes and doesn’t work some time.
When it doesn’t work, it is creating two files on the server for one click from UI. And we narrowed down through the code, and it seems like DocumentBuilder.InsertHTML is taking a lot of time to execute the statament.
Are we supposed to make any change in code or some other change since we are moving to a virtual server?

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. There are no special requirements for running Aspose.Words on virtual server. Does Aspose.Words throw some exception? If so, please provide a stack trace of the exception.
Also, your version of Aspose.Words is quite old. Have you tried using the latest version? You can download it from here:
https://releases.aspose.com/words/net
Best regards,

It totally works fine on the current production with this older version but fails on new production server. The main difference is that current production server is Windows Server 2003 and New production server is Windows Server 2003 R2. Does Aspose.Words has to do with that? Any IIS settings we need to take care of?
It is not the case that Aspose breaks every time. It works for couple of maps, creates a word document, fills out the data and streamlines the data to the user. But when it doesn’t work, it creates file on the server, and take 2-3 minutes to write the data to the file and never get able to streamline the data to the user. And once it breaks, the whole applicaiton gets freezed. I can’t go back or refresh the page. If I do that, it takes forever. So I literally have to close all browsers and then open the applicaiton.
Also that, I am trying to convert a map into document which has a lots of images with the text. I noticed one thing that if a map has an image nad if that image is missing shape property, and tries to conver to word document, it breaks aspose to work. But if a map has an image with shape property, then aspose works. Below is an example:
<a shape="rect" href="BLOCKED SCRIPTshowDoc(132559)" >
Any suggestion?

Hi

Thank you for additional information. Could you please create a simple example that will allow me to reproduce the problem? I will check it and provide you more information.
The only suggestion I can give you at the moment is used newer version of Aspose.Words. Each new version contains a lot of fixes and improvements. So maybe this problem is already resolved. In addition, a lot of our customers uses Aspose.Words on Windows Server 2003 R2 and never reported anything similar to your problem.
Best regards,

I downloaded ASpose 9.4.0 dll but I dont know which dll I should use to use in my .net 1.1 aand .net 3.0 application. The downloaded folder has .net 1.1, .net 2.0, .net 3.5_clientProfile, .net3.5_Clientprofile_Autheticatecodesigned foloder,etc. Each of this folder has ASpose.words dll so which one I should use?

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. If you application works under .NET 1.1, then you should use Aspose.Words.dll from .net1.1 folder. . If you application works under .NET 3.0, then you should use Aspose.Words.dll from .net2.0 folder.
These dlls are just optimized for the specific framework. API and functionality of these dlls are identical.
Best regards,

Thank you so much for quick reply.
I tried to use V9.4.0 dll and it was giving error :

System.Exception: 1-15-WEBSTAG2-10/29/2010 10:22:21 AM–16-22-23-25-System.InvalidOperationException: The subscription included in this license allows free upgrades until 16 Feb 2007, but this version of the product was released on 10 Sep 2010. Please renew the subscription or use a previous version of the product.

So I requested temp licence just to see if using newer dll solves my problem. I got temp licence in email, I used it and it is giving me this error:

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type ‘System.Web.HttpUnhandledException’
was thrown.-- -> System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot find resource ‘Aspose.Resources.NoImage.png’.

I ddin’t find any thing in forum for this error. Can you please help? I need this to be worked by end of the day.

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. When do you get such exception? Could you please create a simple application that will allow me to reproduce the problem? I will check and provide you more information.
Best regards,

In my application, I have a map and on it there is a word icon ‘W’. If user clicks on that icon, it is converting that map into a word document using Aspose.Words. This map can have images also. If the map doesn’t have any image OR have images with ‘shape=rect’ attribute, it can be able to convert into word document using Aspose.Words very quickly.
Below is the code we are using to display the data on the map and the data we are trying to display. The main difference between these two contents is that one of the contain contains ‘shape=rect’ attriubute for tag and other doesn’t. We believe that if this attribute of the anchor tag is missing from the anchor tag,then it is making Aspose to work very slowly. And if we add it manually, it is able to open the word document in a second.
So it has become the performance issue if the map has images without ‘shape=rect’ attribute. If it, then it works. If it is missing from the tag, it takes forever to convert into word document.
string1 = '- Express as descriptive nouns or noun phrases

• Write in phrases rather than sentences.
  • Avoid use of chapter headings, page number,s acronyms, and abbreviations.
  • Use enough detail to inform others;
    yet limit to two outline levels

<a shape="rect"** href="BLOCKED SCRIPTshowTopics(''1024833,2607385-0,2607386-0,2607388-0'')" >

string2 = '- Express as descriptive nouns or noun phrases

• Write in phrases rather than sentences.
  • Avoid use of chapter headings, page number,s acronyms, and abbreviations.
  • Use enough detail to inform others;
    yet limit to two outline levels
case "Skills":
    builder.InsertCell();
    builder.CellFormat.Width = ConvertUtil.PixelToPoint(fieldSizeForMaps);
    builder.InsertHtml(string1);
    break;
case "Content":
    builder.InsertCell();
    builder.CellFormat.Width = ConvertUtil.PixelToPoint(fieldSizeForMaps);
    builder.InsertHtml(string2);
    break;

Hi

Thank you for additional information. But unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem on my side. Could you please create a simple application that will demonstrate the problem? I will try to run it on my side and see how it goes.
Best regards,

I user DocumentBuilder.InsertImage instead of InsertHTML and it gave me below exception:

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.Exception: 100-10/29/2010 9:29:59 PM--System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 69.65.29.54:80
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at ө.༦.༳(String ܦ)
at Aspose.Words.DocumentBuilder.InsertImage(String fileName, RelativeHorizontalPosition horzPos, Double left, RelativeVerticalPosition vertPos, Double top, Double width, Double height, WrapType wrapType)
at Aspose.Words.DocumentBuilder.InsertImage(String fileName, Double width, Double height)
at Aspose.Words.DocumentBuilder.InsertImage(String fileName)
at CLI.Cmap.ClassLibrary.BLL.AsposeTestBLL.CreateWordFile(String fileName, Boolean fitToScreen) in C:\Products\CLI.CM\CLI.Cmap.ClassLibrary\BLL\AsposeTestBLL.cs:line 38
at CLI.Cmap.ClassLibrary.BLL.AsposeTestBLL.CreateWordFile(String fileName, Boolean fitToScreen) in C:\Products\CLI.CM\CLI.Cmap.ClassLibrary\BLL\AsposeTestBLL.cs:line 231
at CLI.Cmap.Web.SandBox.AsposeTest.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Products\CLI.CM\CLI.Cmap.Web\SandBox\AsposeTest.aspx.cs:line 33
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
a

It appears that the ASPOSE is having problems determining the physical path from the relative path (only on virtual web servers).

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. Have you tried with full path? You can try using Server.MapPath method to get full path from relative. Maybe this can help you to resolve the problem.
Unfortunately, I am still unable to reproduce the same problem on my side. So I can only guess how to resolve the problem.
Best regards,