Aspose.MSI ~ MSI File Management

Dear Customers,

Aspose.MSI is not completed product on the market for sale; this post is here for customer interest and feature requests only.

The concept for Aspose.MSI is very similar to our other flagship products: Aspose.Words, Aspose.Cells, Aspose.Slides, Aspose.PDF, etc... The proposed component would allow developers to access, modify, add and delete items within MSI files. The goal of the product is to allow developers to build automated MSI deployment solutions.

As stated above, we are currently trying to determine customer interest and needed features. Therefore, if you see this product being useful (or feel that it would be useful with additional features) please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas here.

We appreciate you time in reading this and thank you for your valuable input in advance.

First off, I would like to say that I would be very interested in this product and would certainly like to hear more about where you are thinking of going with it.

For my purposes, the things I would need to be able to do are the following, most of which I am sure you have already thought of as they are fairly standard:

1) Allow different configs (i.e. Standard, Full, etc.)

2) Allow the creation of icons in start menu and desktop and other special folder

3) Also, some way of specifying custom install steps and screens to maybe launch another installer (such as MSDE, MDAC, etc.)

Chris

Hey Chris,

Thank you for the reply and for the interest. You are right on target with you ideas for needed features. The goal of the component would be to allow developers complete control over an MSI (similar to what one would find in a high-end install package) except it would be provided through a very feature rich API.

Therefore, if a development team wanted an application that would refresh certain portions of an install file - they could use the component to do so. Install applications are nice, but they do not always do everything a development team may need. That is why having a component that would allow developers to manage MSI files in any way needed could be a much more flexible solution.

Thank you again for the feedback, we appreciate it very, very much.