Aspose.PDF Java: PDF to PDF/A Convertion does not produce valid pdf_A_1A, pdf_A_2A, pdf_A_3A

Hello,
Using the latest Aspose.PDF java version (19.10) I am trying to convert some very simple PDFs to different PDF/A formats.
Here the code used:

com.aspose.pdf.Document pdfDocument = null;
try (InputStream in = new FileInputStream(filePath)){
	pdfDocument = new com.aspose.pdf.Document(in);
	pdfDocument.convert(getAsposePdfFactoryLogFile().getAbsolutePath(), getAsposePDFAType(pdfAType), ConvertErrorAction.Delete);
	pdfDocument.setLinearized(true);
	pdfDocument.save(filePath);
} catch(Exception ex) {
	throw new DocFactoryException(ex);
} finally {
	if(pdfDocument != null) {
		pdfDocument.close();
	}
}

The produced pdf_A_1A, pdf_A_2A, pdf_A_3A cannot be validated by diverses online tools, example PDF Tools Online - Validate PDF
The pdf_A_1B, pdf_A_2B and pdf_A_3B are recognized as valid PDF/A PDFs.

I have attached 6 PDFs produced by unit tests (we don’t load the license in unit tests that is why there is the license warning)
pdf_A_1A.pdf (46.1 KB)
pdf_A_1B.pdf (46.0 KB)
pdf_A_2A.pdf (46.1 KB)
pdf_A_2B.pdf (46.1 KB)
pdf_A_3A.pdf (46.1 KB)
pdf_A_3B.pdf (46.1 KB)

The PDF Tools Online - Validate PDF gives the following result:
Validating file “pdf_A_1A.pdf” for conformance level pdfa-1a
The key Type is required but missing.
The document does not conform to the requested standard.
The document doesn’t provide appropriate logical structure information.
The document does not conform to the PDF/A-1a standard.

Can you please check this at your side and fix this?
Regards
Emmanuel

@ecomba,

Can you please share complete environment details with us to further investigate this issue. Before sharing requested information can you please try to use Aspose.PDF latest version 20.4 on your end and if there is still an issue than please share feedback with us.

Hello,
I have tested again with the latests Aspose Version (20.4) and the problem is exactly the same. Only the PDF/A_xB can be validated.

Here are my settings

Java version: 11.0.6, vendor: AdoptOpenJDK, runtime: C:\Program Files\AdoptOpenJDK\jdk-11.0.6.10-hotspot
Default locale: fr_FR, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: “windows 10”, version: “10.0”, arch: “amd64”, family: “windows”

I have done the following tests using the license:

• I generate a pdf with aspose.words (20.4) from a very simple template.docx (attached in the message below in a zip because docx are not allowed here).
  • then I convert the pdf with the code from my previous message
    All the PDFs claims to be PDF/A if I open them in Acrobat Reader

The produced pdf_A_1A, pdf_A_2A, pdf_A_3A cannot be validated by diverses online tools, example PDF Tools Online - Validate PDF
The pdf_A_1B, pdf_A_2B and pdf_A_3B are recognized as valid PDF/A PDFs.

The PDF Tools Online - Validate PDF gives the following result:
Validating file “pdf_A_1A.pdf” for conformance level pdfa-1a
The key Type is required but missing.
The document does not conform to the requested standard.
The document doesn’t provide appropriate logical structure information.
The document does not conform to the PDF/A-1a standard.
PDF_A_1A.pdf (18.3 KB)
PDF_A_1B.pdf (18.2 KB)
PDF_A_2A.pdf (18.3 KB)
PDF_A_2B.pdf (18.3 KB)
PDF_A_3A.pdf (18.3 KB)
PDF_A_3B.pdf (18.3 KB)
template.zip (9.2 KB)

Thanks in advance
Emmanuel Comba

@ecomba,

I have observed your issue and like to inform that I have created investigation ticket with ID PDFJAVA-39417 in our issue tracking system to investigate and resolve this issue as soon possible.

Thank you Adnan.Ahmad
Do you know the average time needed by your teams for the resolving such issues? When can we expect to have a fixed Version?
Have a nice day
Emmanuel Comba

@ecomba,

We are looking into this and will get back to you with ETA as soon as possible.

Hello Adnan,

Are there any news about this bug? It has been transmitted 2.5 months ago and I still don’t have any news about this. We would like to be able to integrate the bug fix asap now.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Emmanuel

@ecomba

We are afraid that earlier-logged issue is not yet resolved. We will surely get it fixed however, it will be fixed on first come first serve basis. We will surely inform you as soon as we have some definite updates in this regard. Please spare us some time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Hello Asad,

Any news about this issue? We have reported this issue more than 3 months ago and we don’t even know if and when this will be fixed by the Aspose developers.
Can you please give us these information? We really need to get a clear outlook about this.
Thanks in advance.

Emmanuel Comba

@ecomba

We assure you that we resolve every reported issue however, they are resolved on the basis of support model under which they were logged and their resolution time varies depending upong the number of issues logged prior to them. Anyways, we have escalated the issue priority to next level and we will definitely try to share some news about its resolution ETA with you soon. We highly appreciate your patience in this regard. Please give us some time.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

@ecomba

We investigated the earlier logged ticket and found that it was not Aspose.PDF bug, but incorrect validation of this service: www.pdf-online.com. Documents are valid according to standard. Adobe Acrobat DC Preflight cannot find any error (screenshots are attached).

Also, other online validations work well without any error:

https://bfo.com/blog/2017/11/08/verify_pdfa_online/
PDF_A_1A_2.png (7.8 KB)
PDF_A_1B.png (7.9 KB)
PDF_A_2A.png (7.8 KB)
PDF_A_2B.png (7.9 KB)
PDF_A_3A.png (7.9 KB)
PDF_A_3B.png (7.8 KB)

Hi Asad,

Thanks a lot for your answer and for the online verification tool. this will help a lot.
But honestly, have you or your colleagues fixed something ? :sweat_smile:
For demonstrating all the problem I had, I have also used your online pdf conversion tool in the past:

Until last week it was slow and the result was only good with the PDF/A 1B. The PDF/A 3A was not recognized as PDF/A by Adobe Acrobat also.
I have done the test today: it is fast and the PDF/A 3A suddenly works.
Believe me I am really sure that the results were as described here (I was not the only one who has tested also) :smile:

Anyway thanks a lot. You can consider this thread as closed. I will comeback to you if I have any other issues.
Best regards
Emmanuel

@ecomba

We revise API update every month and with each new version, API has improvements in terms of bug fixes and performance. As far as your specific issue was concerned, we investigated and tested the scenario using Aspose.PDF for Java 20.8 (which is latest version at the moment) and provided you feedback.

Nevertheless, it is great to hear that your issue has been now resolved. Please keep using our API and in case you face any issue, please feel free to let us know.