Aspose.PDF.Kit for Java

Hi,

We are currently using Aspose.PDF.Kit for Java in our product and were looking to upgrading it. The last time we did it was in 2012. I was trying to find the library but was unable to locate it. All I can see is Apose.PDF for Java. When looking into jar briefly it seems like it is missing com.aspose.pdf.kit we are using throughout our application. All current files are having imports as

import com.aspose.pdf.kit.<Class>
For example. import com.aspose.pdf.kit.PdfFileEditor

Could you please help me with location of the library or perhaps explaining which one could replace it with minimal impact to our existing code/functionality?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thank you for contacting support. Aspose.Pdf.Kit for Java API has been discontinued as a separate product. All classes and enumerations of Aspose.Pdf.Kit for Java are now available in com.aspose.pdf.facades package of Aspose.Pdf for Java API. You can add reference of the PdfFileEditor class as: import com.aspose.pdf.facades.

Thanks & Regards,
Imran Rafique

Hi,

Thank you for a quick reply. I would like to know what I should be aware of when upgrading to Aspose.PDF. You already mentioned I need to change class path to facades. Is it the case for all classes? I gave only one example of PdfFileEditor. We use a lot of Aspose classes. Should I change it to facades to all of them? FOr example I cannot find TextSegment in facades.

What about backwards compatibility? Does the new library has all of the functionality of Aspose.PDF.Kit? Or is there something I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Another question that came up:

Up until now with Aspose.PDF.Kit we were using Apose.Pdf.Kit.Lic license file. Where do we get a new one if we upgrade to Aspose.PDF?

PdfExtractor previously had method getFormattedText, that returned collection of TextSegment. What is the equivalent in Aspose.PDF?

Hi,

Thank you for the inquiry. The TextSegment class is available in the com.aspose.pdf package and we have incorporated all features of Aspose.Pdf.Kit for Java API into the Aspose.Pdf for Java API. During the whole migration activity, we have definitely considered the impact of this activity over existing customers and we have tried our level best to minimize this impact as much as possible.

Aspose.Pdf for Java API includes the new approach Document Object Model (DOM) under com.aspose.pdf package to create as well as manipulate existing PDF files and we recommend our clients to adopt this new approach. Please go through the developer’s guide of Aspose.Pdf for Java API (Working with com.aspose.pdf.facades and Working with com.aspose.pdf).

We are afraid that the getFormattedText is not available in the PdfExtractor class. You can extract text from the PDF document in various ways as well as the text formatting. Please refer to these help topics: Working with Text (DOM) and Working with Text (facades)

The old license file (Apose.Pdf.Kit.Lic) will not work with Aspose.Pdf for Java API and we recommend to contact with our sales team by posting in the Aspose.Purchase forum because they could guide you better on this. Please let us know in case of any further assistance or questions.