Aspose.Pdf.Page.Layers getter throws NullReferenceException when I attempt to access it

Aspose.Pdf.Page.Layers getter throws NullReferenceException when I attempt to access it first time without having Layers object initialized. This is not very intuitive (I expect it would return null value instead) and complicates business logic of my code that uses this API. Also, apparently this same issue causes an exception when I attempt to save a document that has some pages with layers, and some pages without layers. I am using Windows 10 OS and Aspose.PDF for .NET 21.10.1 (latest at the time of writing). Here is my code snippet:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using Aspose.Pdf;

namespace ConsoleApp
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            var document = new Document();
            var page = document.Pages.Add();
            try
            {
                if (page.Layers == null)
                {
                    // Do something, for example: page.Layers = new List<Layer>();
                }
            }
            catch (NullReferenceException)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Issue #1: why this exception? Checking Layers getter return value for null should be possible.");
            }

var page2 = document.Pages.Add();
            page2.Layers = new List<Layer>();

// Now some pages have layers, and some don't. This causes a second issue:

try
            {
                document.Save("get_layers_support.pdf");

}
            catch (Exception e)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Issue #2: why this exception? Saving a document should be possible.");
                Console.WriteLine(e.StackTrace);

// A workaround is to assign 'new List<Layer>()' to layers in all pages that throw NullReferenceException
                // on Layers getter, but this is not nice.
            }
        }
    }
}

Here is the output of the above code snippet:

Issue #1: why this exception? Checking Layers getter return value for null should be possible.                                                                                                                       
Issue #2: why this exception? Saving a document should be possible.                                                                                                                                                   
    at Aspose.Pdf.Page.get_Layers()                                                                                                                                                                                    
    at Aspose.Pdf.Document.#=zcnoUeF8=()                                                                                                                                                                               
    at Aspose.Pdf.Document.#=z9mRpoUfSiIRh(Stream #=z8qPhCAQ=, SaveOptions #=znQ1_uSMlhiaM)                                                                                                                            
    at Aspose.Pdf.Document.#=zuBW_ByWvJriT(String #=z8GuEkvTcxVz1)                                                                                                                                                     
    at Aspose.Pdf.Document.Save(String outputFileName)                                                                                                                                                                 
    at ConsoleApp.Program.Main(String[] args)

Here is the code snippet attached:

Aspose_PDF_get_Layers_issue.zip (4.5 KB)

Can this be helped somehow? The expectation is that page.Layers returns null if the page does not have Layers property initialized (so that it can be assigned e.g. ‘new List()’), and also, that the Save() operation does not throw an exception like in the above use case.

@AlexeyM

We have logged an enhancement request as PDFNET-50845 in our issue management system to implement the proper getter of the Layers collection. Furthermore, we will also look into the details of exception that API is throwing at the time of Save() method. We will let you know as soon as the ticket is resolved. Please be patient and spare us some time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

PS: Would you please share a sample PDF as well so that we can add it to the ticket as well.

Thanks Asad! Just to add to this, sometimes even if I assign a layer to each page in the document, the Save() method would still either fail with NullReferenceException in get_Layers, or (unconfirmed, maybe this is another issue) would take so long time that I have to terminate the program without waiting for it to complete. So the workaround that I proposed does not always work.

Also, I cannot provide a sample PDF for the issue, as PDF cannot get generated. There is however a sample C# project attached to the original post in this topic that demonstrates the issue.

@AlexeyM

Thanks for sharing more details. We have logged the provided information along with the ticket and will surely consider it while investigating the issue. We will let you know once we have some updates in this regard. Please spare us some time.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as PDFNET-50845) have been fixed in Aspose.PDF for .NET 22.1.