Aspose slides for java cannot open ppt file

Hello,

I am trying to evaluate aspose slides for java. I am using the trial version with a trial license.

Please see the attached ppt file (mypowerpoint.ppt). I am able to open this ppt file using microsoft powerpoint 2007.

But when I try to open/load this file using aspose slides for java. I get an error.

Here is my code to load a ppt file:

String pptin = “c:\mypowerpoint.pptx”;
com.aspose.slides.License license = new com.aspose.slides.License();
String path = “C:\aspose\Aspose.Slides.lic”;
license.setLicense(path);
Presentation pptxPresentation = new Presentation(pptin);

I get this error:

class com.aspose.slides.PptUnsupportedFormatException: Unknown file format. —> class com.aspose.slides.pbdb106a0.e: Unknown file format.
com.aspose.slides.pbdb106a0.b.break(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.pbdb106a0.b.(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.pbdb106a0.f.byte(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.pbdb106a0.f.new(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.pbdb106a0.f.(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.pbdb106a0.n.do(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.pbdb106a0.n.(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.aui.int(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.Presentation.if(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.Presentation.(Unknown Source)
com.aspose.slides.Presentation.(Unknown Source)

My company must decide if we want to buy the aspose slides license. I would appreciate your assistance.

Hi Ferdinand,

Thank you for your interest in Aspose.Slides.

I have observed your requirements and like to share that I have not been able to open the attached presentation file with PowerPoint. A repair message appears saying, “Sorry, PowerPoint could not read mypowerpoint.ppt”. I have tried opening it with PowerPoint 2010 as well as PowerPoint 2013 but every time repair message appears and repairing does not work either. I am afraid that the attached presentation might got corrupted. Please check if you are able to open this file with PowerPoint. If you can open it then share with us the complete version details of PowerPoint which you are using on your end.

Best Regards,

Hello,

I am able to open the ppt file I attached using microsoft powerpoint 2007.

If you open the ppt file attached in my very first post, you will see that the ppt file is using the Open XML format.

Does aspose slides for java support open xml format?

Hi Ferdinand,

I have observed your inquiry regarding OOXML format support in Aspose.Slides. Yes, Aspose.Slide does support Open Office XML format presentations. Please visit this documentation link for your kind reference in this regard. Please share, if I may help you further in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Hello again,

after some more investigation, I found out that the ppt file I attached “mypowerpoint.ppt” is in the .mht format.

what I am trying to do, is I want to extract the text from mypowerpoint.ppt. I tried to use aspose words to do this. Here is the java code:

String licencepath = “C:\aspose\Aspose.Words.lic”;
com.aspose.words.License dlic = new com.aspose.words.License();
dlic.setLicense(licencepath );

String mhtFile = “c:\mypowerpoint.ppt”;
com.aspose.words.LoadOptions lopt = new com.aspose.words.LoadOptions();
lopt.setLoadFormat(com.aspose.words.LoadFormat.MHTML);
com.aspose.words.Document doc = new com.aspose.words.Document(mhtFile, lopt);
System.out.println(doc.toTxt());

the output of this java program is:

null null null

Can you please advice if I need to use aspose words or aspose slides to extract the text from mypowerpoint.ppt

Would appreciate your help. I am trying to evaluate if we should buy aspose license. But I have to make sure my java code will work.

Hello again Mudassir,

I just want you know that we are evaluating the ability to support older versions/formats of powerpoint before we purchase the oem license.

So please see my previous posts and help me find a solution, so we can decide to purchase the oem license.

Ferdinand

Hi Ferdinand,

I have observed the comments shared by you and like to share that Aspose.Slides supports presentations in PPT, PPTX, POT, POTX, PPS, PPSX, PPTM, POTM and ODP formats. The MHT format. The MHT format is support by Aspose.Words and I request you to please consult Aspose.Words support forum for support related to MHT format. Please share, if I may help you further in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Hello,

I posted a request on the aspose words forum:

Here is the reply I got from the customer support person:

Cannot extract the text from .mht file using aspose words

Thanks for your inquiry. Please note that Aspose.Words mimics the same behavior as MS Word does. If you load your mhtml into MS Word, you will get no contents. If you open your mhtml in browser, you will also get no contents. Please make sure that you are using the correct mhtml file.

Best regards,
Tahir Manzoor
Support Developer
Customer Happiness Team
Aspose - Your File Format APIs

So it seems they are telling me that I cannot open the file using aspose words. Which means I have to use aspose slides.

Can you please provide to me the java code that will help me extract the text from the file that I have attached. (mypowerpoint.ppt)

Again, I can open this file using microsoft powerpoint 2007. Would appreciate your help, because we need to make a decision soon if we want to buy the oem license or not. thank you

Hi Ferdinand,

I have observed the comments shared by you and like to share that I have tried opening the presentation file shared by you even in PowerPoint 2010 on my end and have not been able to load the presentation. The presentation sees corrupt. Can you please share the snapshot of opened presentation and complete version of PowerPoint 2007 with which you have been able to open the presentation.

Many Thanks,

Hi,

I am using Microsoft office powerpoint 2007.

I attached the screenshot

Hi Ferdinand,

Thank you for sharing the requested information. I have created an issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-34872 in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-34872) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.