Aspose.Total Install Package Issues

We've been using Aspose.Total for several years. The installation process for upgrades has always been troublesome:

1. I uninstalled all my Aspose installed components and ran a complete re-install using the latest upgrade package. It will not install Aspose.Workflow, telling me I have a newer version installed even though I uninstalled Workflow through Add/Remove Programs. How do I fix this?

2. Why can't Aspose correctly detect what components are already installed and either update them or deinstall them before installing the upgrade. Even the latest upgrade package incorrectly handled a number of installed components.

3. Why can't Aspose package the Aspose.Total product as a single installation with one prompt for accepting the licensing agreement and one set of prompts to install all the selected components rather than chained separate installations of each component? The current approach is highly user-intensive and precludes doing anything else at the same time.

The entire upgrade process for Aspose.Total should be rearchitected to install like any other multi-component package (i.e. MS Office) where you select the components, follow a single dialog for installation and then all the components are installed without further interaction until either completion or failure. The current process is very expensive from the perspective of the amount of time required for each of our developers to upgrade Aspose.Total given the issues in #2 and #3 above.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and i'm sorry for the troubles about Aspose.Total installer. This is really an issue and we are already working on it to improve Aspose.Total installer.

Hopefully, you will see a better Aspose.Total installer in near future.

Thanks for the response but I asked pretty much the same question over a year ago and recieved the same response. It doesn't appear that the Aspose.Total installer has improved over that time. You still need to uninstall all the Aspose components and then run the installer and respond to all the prompts for every component.

Also, you did not respond to my first question:

1. I uninstalled all my Aspose installed components and ran a complete re-install using the latest upgrade package. It will not install Aspose.Workflow, telling me I have a newer version installed even though I uninstalled Workflow through Add/Remove Programs. How do I fix this?

rschaeferhtsc:

Thanks for the response but I asked pretty much the same question over a year ago and recieved the same response. It doesn't appear that the Aspose.Total installer has improved over that time. You still need to uninstall all the Aspose components and then run the installer and respond to all the prompts for every component.

Hi Richard,

You are right that this issue is quite old but always got delayed due to other priorities. However, this time, i assure you that we will definitely come up with a better installer.

Regarding your question about Aspose.Workflow, one of our support developer will help you after downloading Aspose.Total installer and reproducing the issue on his machine.

Dear Richard,

I downloaded the latest version of Aspose.Total for .NET and installed all the components at least three times but I was unable to reproduce this issue on my systems.

I was asked to remove or repair the installation of Aspose.Workflow for .NET and I tried all the options (remove and repair) but did not faced any issue.

I have tried it on Vista 32bit and XP 32bit.

Please download the latest Aspose.Workflow for .NET installer from http://www.aspose.com/community/files/54/utility-components/aspose.workflow-for-.net/default.aspx and let us know if it produces the same issue for you.

Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,

I downloaded the Aspose .Net Workflow 2.1.0 installer and ran it. I got the same “Newer version already installed” message.

Dear Richard,

Can you please tell us what was the previous version of Aspose.Workflow on your PC?

Could you please also take a look at Windows registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products and search for Aspose.Workflow there (let us know if there is an entry)?

Since it is uninstalled I have no way of telling what the previous version was, but the last time I updated my Aspose.Total was at least 6 months ago if not a year.

There is no Aspose.Workflow data under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Products.

Dear Richard,

Sorry for inconvenience.

Right now, we can suggest one of the two ways:

1. get some registry cleaning software that would make sure that nothing is left from the previous Aspose.Workflow installation
  2. Check with ProcMon (see Process Monitor v3.86) monitoring ‘msiexec.exe’ process calls only which registry entries are queried before the installer displays that ‘newer version’ message. If you choose this way, you may attach your logs here for our analysis.

Registry cleaning software is unacceptable. It normally breaks more things than it fixes.

I downloaded and ran ProcMon while running the msi for Workflow. The log is attached.

Hi,

Please try the attached batch file - it deletes Aspose.Workflow for .NET registry entries and you should be able to install updated version after that.

That seems to have corrected the problem. Thanks.