Aspose Word for Java: javadoc errors in Eclipse

I am unable to use any Content Assist feature on Aspose Word java classes in Eclipse.

Every time when my mouse hovers over an Aspose word java class method, an error pops up saying “Note: An exception occurred while getting the Javadoc. See log for details.” and an error shows up in Error log, similar to the following: Unknown javadoc format for acceptAllRevisions() {key=Lcom/aspose/words/Document;.acceptAllRevisions()V|Ljava/lang/Exception;} [in Document [in Document.class [in com.aspose.words [in C:\Users\xxxx.m2\repository\com\aspose\aspose-words\21.9\aspose-words-21.9-jdk17.jar]]]]

To reproduce it, simply open any maven project with dependency on Aspose Word in Eclipse, move mouse over on any Aspose class method.

@yilin

Could you please share the screenshot of the error that you are facing? Please also share the Eclipse version that you are using. We will investigate the issue and provide you more information on it.

Attached screenshot shows the popup during mouse hover and the error log at the lower panel:
Eclipse Version: 2021-09 (4.21.0)

image.png (112.8 KB)

Thanks!
Yi

@yilin

Please make sure that the aspose-words-21.9-javadoc.jar is added in your Java application. Please check the following pom.xml.

<dependencies>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>com.aspose</groupId>
			<artifactId>aspose-words</artifactId>
			<version>21.9</version>
			<classifier>jdk17</classifier>
		</dependency>
		<dependency>
			<groupId>com.aspose</groupId>
			<artifactId>aspose-words</artifactId>
			<version>21.9</version>
			<classifier>javadoc</classifier>
		</dependency>
	</dependencies>

It was already there. Are you able to get javadoc in Eclipse?

@yilin

We have downloaded the code examples from GitHub repository and imported it in Eclipse Maven project. We have not faced any issue at our end. Please check the attached image for detail.

Eclipse Maven project.png (88.2 KB)

Please make sure that Eclipse downloads all dependencies at your end.

Hmm, interesting. Just to be sure: you are also using Eclipse version 2021-09(4.21.0), correct?

@yilin

Perhaps, there is some other issue at your end. Please check the attached image for Eclipse version at our end.
Eclipse version.png (37.5 KB)

Please share the screenshot of Eclipse version (from Help>About Eclipse). We will setup the same version at our end and test this case.

It looks like your Eclipse version is pretty old (3 and half years). Could you try the latest version?
Mine is 2021-09(4.21.0):
image.png (27.7 KB)

Thanks!

@yilin

We tested the scenario using same version of Eclipse and have not faced any issue. Please check your scenario at some different system and make sure that all dependencies are downloaded at your end.
Eclipse version.png (171.9 KB)

You may create simple Java application, add reference of Aspose.Words for Java, and copy the desired code example. Hope this helps you.

I just realized that mouse over a type definition like you did also works for me. The problem occurs when the mouse hovers the method name (“License” after the “new” keyword or “setLicense”). See screentshot:
image.png (33.0 KB)

Can you try the move mouse over a method name instead of the type and see if you can reproduce it? Thanks!

1 Like

@yilin

We have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as WORDSJAVA-2660. You will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Could you please share complete detail of you requirement for which you need this Javadoc feature?

The Javadoc problem is breaking Content Assistant feature in Eclipse. For example, when I start type “.” after a Document object, the setTrackRevisions method does show up in the dropdown suggestion list. And error logs shows something similar to:
image.png (34.8 KB)

@yilin

Thanks for sharing the detail. We have logged it in our issue tracking system. We will inform you once there is any update available on this issue.

Any news on the issue?

@DirkSteinkamp Unfortunately, the issue is still unresolved. We will keep you informed and let you know once it is resolved.