Aspose Word Form Field Access

Hi

We want to use the aspose word for the server side automation in place of MS Word. I am doing some R&D with this. I need to access some form fields from the word document and update those with the user input data. I can easilly access and update the FormFields with Aspose. But there is a problem when the document has multiple form field in a single line. If I am trying to access the FormField collection on that document, it throws the exception ‘Cannot find a document field that wraps this form field.’. Could you please help me to sort out this problem.

Thanks

Prasenjit

I think this problem was fixed some time ago and we might even have a unit test for it, please make sure you are using the latest version of Aspose.Word 1.6.4. I will look at this issue from my side.

Thanks Roman, I have installed the latest version of Aspose Word in my machine and now it is working find.

I have some other question. I have to insert some text at particular position dynamically. To do this, we need to add BookMarks dynamically to the document for indicating the next insertion point. Is it possible through Aspose? We also need to maintain the Bullet & Numbering format to the inserted para. How can I do that?

Thanks

Prasenjit

Ok, I’ll add methods to insert bookmarks via DocumentBuilder soon.

Can you explain in more details what do you need to maintain bullet and numbering format? Doesn’t it maintain it already? Send me a sample file to word@aspose.com if you have one.

Hi Roman,

I am really speaking you are too active. And frankly speaking this kind of support will help us to take the dicision for Aspose instead of Word.

When will we expecting this Bookmark Addition Feature? Because we need that very badly.

One more important thing. We need to track all the changes in the document file. After end of a cycle, we are going to generate a final version of that document, without those changes track. In case of Word, if the document is protected as ‘AllowOnlyRevisions’, then all the changes has been tracked. This is also possible with Aspose. To accept all the changes we can call the method ‘AcceptAllChanges’ of the word application object. With Aspose, I am trying to find that kind of feature and still don’t get any.

Please help me on this also.

Thanks

Prasenjit

Bookmark insertion is easy to add. In fact I just need to make it public. I will release another hotfix on Monday.

I’m not so sure about tracking changes. Aspose.Word used to preserve tracking changes and revisions marks in the document but I’ve removed that feature during performance and memory optimization sometime ago. Since then two customers requested this feature so I might just have to add it back.

AcceptAllChanges method is another story. It is probably significant amount of work and we will not be able to do it immediately as we have some other features lined up. Do you need just this method or you will need a lot of others related to tracking changes?

Hi Roman,

Thanks for your active support. And a great thanks on advance for the bookmark insertion. This will solve a great problem of us.

In respect to the Tracking changes functionality of word, we need the complete functionality as the MS Word support. Also we need the AcceptAllChanges() functionality. Without that, our purpose will not solved. Please try to get implement that as soon as possible.

I think if I put the Word Document Protection as ‘AllowOnlyRevisions’, then word will automatically trace the thing for further reference. We don’t have to do anything. If you provide the method to accept the changes, whatever is made on the document and save a clear version of it, then it will solve our problem

Thanks

Prasenjit

I would like to know more about your solution if possible.

I don’t understand one thing. Who and how reviews the documents before accepting the changes? You probably cannot just programmatically accept without someone reviewing what the user’s changed in the document. After all why did you protect the document in the first place - just for that - for someone to review. But if someone reviews the document why can’t they click Accept All Changes in MS Word, why do you need Aspose.Word for this?

I’ve added DocumentBuilder.StartBookmark and EndBookmark methods and will release Aspose.Word 1.6.5 later today.

Hi Roman,

I am sorry that I can’t make it clear to you. But, our customer doesn’t have any permission to do anything with the document settings. All the documents are password protected and that password has been set at the time of document creation. They don’t know about the password. What they can do is change the content of the document whatever they want, but word track all the changes there. After completion of the development, user only have the permission to upload that to the server. The system on the server is the responsible, who is going to show the final version of the document to the user who wants to see that. To display the final version, the condition is, there is no Track Changes information present in that document. To do this, we need this AcceptAllChanges feature with Aspose, so that we can automatically build the final version of the document automatically.

Thanks for your entire support. I hope, in this regards, you are also trying to give us the solution. This feature is very important to us.

Prasenjit

Aspose.Word will support tracking changes and will allow to accept them. Estimated delivery August-September. This seems to be a general feature requested by several customers.