Aspose.words Docx to PDF conversion bullet points missing

While testing Aspose.Words we noticed that it isn’t converting some bullet points to the output PDF document.

I’ve attached the input .docx file and the resulting output PDF file for reference.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, do you have any solutions or workarounds? If more information is needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Input and output documents.zip (311.3 KB)

@obeardsall With the latest 24.6 version Aspose.Words throws an exception upon converting the attached document.

We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): WORDSNET-27093

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

Regarding your original issue. This looks like a known peculiarity - Windows “Symbol” font (which is used for bullets) is a symbolic font (like “Webdings”, “Wingdings”, etc.) which uses Unicode PUA. MacOS or Linux “Symbol” font on the other hand is a proper Unicode font (for example Greek characters are in the U+0370…U+03FF Greek and Coptic block). So these fonts are incompatible and Mac/Linux “Symbol” font cannot be used instead of Windows “Symbol” without additional actions. In your particular case, it looks like, the bullet is represented as U+2022, but in Windows “Symbol” it is PUA U+F0B7 (or U+00B7 which also can be used in MS Word for symbolic fonts). So you should change U+2022 character to U+00B7:

Document doc = new Document(@"C:\Temp\in.docx");

List<Run> items = doc.GetChildNodes(NodeType.Run, true).Cast<Run>()
    .Where(r => r.Font.Name == "Symbol").ToList();

foreach (Run r in items)
{
    if (r.Text == "\x2022")
        r.Text = "\x00b7";
}

doc.Save(@"C:\Temp\out.pdf");

Alternatively, you can use “Symbol” from Windows in your MAC environment.

The problem is not reproducible with 24.3 version on my side on Windows: out_old.pdf (18.4 KB)

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-27093) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 24.7 update also available on NuGet.