Aspose.Words error Inserting new StructuredDocumentTag with DocumentBuilder

I’m getting an error java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot insert a node of this type at this location. when trying to create and insert a StructuredDocumentTag using the DocumentBuilder.

I have used the following sample as a guide for the syntax.
https://docs.aspose.com/words/net/working-with-content-control-sdt/

Can you please give an example of how to correctly add the SDT using DocumentBuilder?

I’m currently using Aspose.Words.for.Java ver 14.7.0.

Sample code:

Document document = new Document();
DocumentBuilder builder = new DocumentBuilder(document);
StructuredDocumentTag pref = new StructuredDocumentTag(document, SdtType.PLAIN_TEXT, MarkupLevel.BLOCK);
Paragraph para = new Paragraph(document);
Run run = new Run(document);
run.setText("abc");
para.getRuns().add(run);
pref.getChildNodes().add(para); 
pref.setTag("Pinpoint_Control");
pref.setLockContents(true);
// Insert content control into the document
builder.insertNode(pref); // getting error here

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your inquiry. StructuredDocumentTag class represents a structured document tag (SDT or content control) in a document.

Structured document tags (SDTs) allow to embed customer-defined semantics as well as its behavior and appearance into a document.

In this version of Aspose.Words provides a number of public methods and properties to manipulate the behavior and content of StructuredDocumentTag. However databinding of SDT nodes to custom xml packages within a Document is not supported in this version of public API.

StructuredDocumentTag can occur in a document in the following places:

• Block-level - Among paragraphs and tables, as a child of a Body, HeaderFooter, Comment, Footnote or a Shape node.
  • Row-level - Among rows in a table, as a child of a Table node.
  • Cell-level - Among cells in a table row, as a child of a Row node.
  • Inline-level - Among inline content inside, as a child of a Paragraph.
  • Nested inside another StructuredDocumentTag.

Please use following code example to achieve your requirements and check code examples shared in following documentation link.
https://docs.aspose.com/words/java/working-with-content-control-sdt/

Document document = new Document();
StructuredDocumentTag pref = new StructuredDocumentTag(document, SdtType.PLAIN_TEXT, MarkupLevel.INLINE);
run.setText("abc");
pref.getChildNodes().add(run);
builder.insertNode(pref);
document.save(MyDir + "Out.docx");

Please read following documentation link for your kind reference.
https://docs.aspose.com/words/java/aspose-words-document-object-model/

I tried the example given, which does work if we are creating an empty Document to begin with.
In our workflow, we are creating a document using a template, which I have attached a copy for your testing. When using the template, this is now throwing a NullPointerException which occurs when trying to construct the StructuredDocumentTag. This is when I specify the StdType.PLAIN_TEXT.

Also, I think the SdtType we want to use are BLOCK, not INLINE, which if I switch the type to SdtType.BLOCK it still throws the error “cannot create a node of this type at this location”.

Please advise on how to output a BLOCK level SDT while using DocumentBuilder that contains only plain text.
Thanks.

Updated sample coded:

Document document = new Document("GentTemplate.dotm");
StructuredDocumentTag pref = new StructuredDocumentTag(document, SdtType.PLAIN_TEXT, MarkupLevel.BLOCK); 
run.setText("abc");
pref.getChildNodes().add(run);
builder.insertNode(pref);

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your inquiry.

*treuters:

When using the template, this is now throwing a NullPointerException which occurs when trying to construct the StructuredDocumentTag. This is when I specify the StdType.PLAIN_TEXT.*

I have tested the scenario and have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. For the sake of correction, I have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as WORDSNET-11759. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved. We apologize for your inconvenience.

*treuters:

Please advise on how to output a BLOCK level SDT while using DocumentBuilder that contains only plain text.*

Please note that Block-level content control must be among paragraphs and tables, as a child of a Body, HeaderFooter, Comment, Footnote or a Shape node.

Please use following code example to insert Block-level content control at the end of first section of document.

Document document = new Document(MyDir + "GentTemplate.dotm");
run.setText("abc");
Paragraph para = new Paragraph(document); 
para.appendChild(run);
pref.getChildNodes().add(para);
document.getFirstSection().getBody().appendChild(pref);

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-11759) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.