Aspose.words for sharepoint pagevalidationsummarytest error

Hi, Installed evaluation version. No errors during install. When trying to convert a doc (any document) we get the following error message.

The resource object with key 'PageValidationSummaryText' was not found. at System.Web.Compilation.ResourceExpressionBuilder.ParseExpression(String expression, Type propertyType, ExpressionBuilderContext context) 
at System.Web.UI.BoundPropertyEntry.ParseExpression(ExpressionBuilderContext context) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.FillUpBoundPropertyEntry(BoundPropertyEntry entry, String name) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.AddBoundProperty(String filter, String name, String expressionPrefix, String expression, ExpressionBuilder expressionBuilder, Object parsedExpressionData, Boolean generated, String fieldName, String formatString, Boolean twoWayBound) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.PreprocessAttribute(String filter, String attribname, String attribvalue, Boolean mainDirectiveMode) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.PreprocessAttributes(ParsedAttributeCollection attribs) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.Init(TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, Type type, String tagName, String id, IDictionary attribs) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.CreateBuilderFromType(TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, Type type, String tagName, String id, IDictionary attribs, Int32 line, String sourceFileName) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.CreateChildBuilder(String filter, String tagName, IDictionary attribs, TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, String id, Int32 line, VirtualPath virtualPath, Type& childType, Boolean defaultProperty) 
at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessBeginTag(Match match, String inputText) 
at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding)

When trying to activate on a site collection not specified during install we get error:

The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040) at Aspose.Words.SharePoint.Deployment.FeatureReceiver.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties) 
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce) 
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce) 
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly) 
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Add(Guid featureId) 
at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.FeatureActivator.BtnActivateFeature_Click(Object objSender, EventArgs evtargs) 
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) 
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) 
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) 
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) 

I have tried a reinstall with repair option. No change.

Please advice

Henrik

UPDATE !! This error occurs only if aspose.words for sharepoint is activated ONLY on non default web application (i.e not the first web application created in farm). If activated on the first web app the activation works also on the others. If de-activated on the first the error immediately occurs on the others. Why is that ???

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for your interest in Aspose.Words for SharePoint.

Regarding the first error you reported (The resource object with key
‘PageValidationSummaryText’ was not found… when starting converter). This may happen if the feature activation handler failed to place the resource file in the web application virtual directory. It logs exceptions to the SharePoint trace logs under \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS. If the problem persists, we will have to look for relevant entries in these logs.

Regarding the error during activation on another site collection, it looks like an incorrect version of the deployment assembly is present in the system. I suggest manually retracting the solution from Central Administration (Operations, Solution management, select aspose.words.sharepoint.wsp and click Retract Solution). After the solution changes status to Not Deployed, click it again and choose Remove Solution. The installer does the same thing, and this should normally remove the assemblies installed with the solution. Please try re-installing after removing the solution.

Regarding the issue you described in the update: solution stops working on all web applications after deactivating on default web application, I was not able to reproduce it on my side. Could you please describe the steps to reproduce it? And, by the way, do I understand you right, that the first two issues are not observed if the default web application is selected during installation?

Thanks and best regards,

That is correct. First two errors are no longer observed when aspose.words is activated on default web application. only if not activated on default webb app upon install OR later de-acativated there will they show up in the non-default web apps.

in short - in my specific case - to get aspose words working on the web application i want i have to have it first acrivated on the default web application where i had not intended to activate it. not that it hurts the functionality of the default qweb app in any way but requirment that seems strange …

As a side note. I do have trouble uninstalling aspose.words as there is a aspose.words.tracing.dll in the GAC that is locked by some process. the to 2 main aspose.words dlls are no problem to uninstall.

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for the additional information. Though I was not able to reproduce exactly your scenario, we did found an issue with feature activation/deactivation that eventually leads to the error you reported. Your request is linked to this issue. You will be notified as soon as it is resolved.

Regarding the locked dll issue you reported in the last post, I was not able to reproduce it after simple installation/deinstallation. However I have not included activation and deactivation in the scenario. I will investigate the issue further and provide you more information.

Thanks and best regards,

Hi Henrik,

We are glad to inform that the issue with feature activation/deactivation is now fixed in our latest release 1.3
Please find it here.

Thanks.

Hi,

Just installed/upgerasded to version 1.3. Seems to work. One thing I noticed in
Sharepoint Designer. When trying to add the ‘Convert via Aspose.Words’ workflow Action nothing happens. Nada. I expected something like a config for this action … ? Action does not asppear in workflow…

Regards

Henrik

Hi Henrik.

Thank you for reporting this problem to us. There is issue with registering the activity in the web.config file when Aspose.Words for SharePoint is installed via “Upgrade” option.

As a workaround you can try uninstalling using “Remove” option and than reinstall again. The action should appear in the SharePoint Designer when selected after that. Thank you for your patience and sorry for inconvenience.

“Upgrade” option will be removed from the setup program in the next release.

Thanks & best regards,

Hi,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled version 1.3. that seems to work. the workflow activity shows up correctly in the sharepoint designer and can be configured. However running the workflow on an item in the doc lib creates no PDF and no error message. Please see attached .jpg of wf action. It should produce a PDF in same doc lib as it is being run from. If I do a manual conversion using doc library menu it works fine.

Another problem that remains in slightly different shape with version 1.3 is the activation of the solution during setup. If I uninstall and then reinstall with only one web application selected for the solution (and not the default one) I still get it in the default web app…? Further it shows up with double menu items in the web app where i do want it installed but in the default web app it shows up correctly with 1 menu choice. See attached .jpg of what double menu items looks like. Seems no matter if i select my main (default) web application during setup or not - it still wil intall there. If i unistall the solution is removed from all web apps correctly. Its the install that is not working correctly - giving me 1 double menus and 2 install in default web app no matter what i do.

Regards

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

thank you for your request.

Regarding the first issue (no converted file on workflow execution), according to your screenshot, I think the problem may be with the specified destination url. It should be a server-relative url, similar to the destination folder parameter in a conversion settings screen displayed when converting a file through the menu. That is, "http://server:port" part should not be present. Sorry as it may not be clear from the documentation. I am creating a new issue in our defect database to add a workflow compile-time check for this parameter.
Also if you need the converted document in the same folder with the source document, you can just leave the destination url at the default.
If correcting the url does not resolve the problem, you can add a “Log to History List” action for the workflow output message as described here: https://docs.aspose.com/words/sharepoint/using-aspose-words-for-sharepoint-in-a-workflow/ (see “Using action output as a parameter for another action” picture). This way workflow will log its output to the history. If error occurs, the reason will be logged there.

Regarding the second issue, (duplicate menu items and installation to the default web application, regardless of the setup options), could you please tell which version of SharePoint and on what OS are you using (OS version and service pack, x86 vs x64, SharePoint service pack). I will try to reproduce the issue and provide you more information.

Thanks and best regards,

Hi,

I have once again removed the web app feature to verify there are no ‘ghosted’ menu items left after uninstall. Will again install and try the suggested url change.

My prefered choice is to install/activate the feature only on the web application where I need it (and that is not the default web app) but I might be able to live with having it activated on default too even though its not selected.

We are using Sharepoint 2007 SP2 Version is: 12.0.0.6421, The OS is Win Server 2003 R2 SP2 Standard 64bit

Hi,

Have verified that workflow action works when URL is relative (without http:// part). Only probelm now is the activation on web apps. It creates 2 menu choices in the web app I select and one on the default - which I never selected. Strange…

Regards

Henrik

Hi,

Is there anyway to retain the metadata of the converted document. That is quite essential requirement. Currently when convert a document I loose most of my metadata - but not all?! see below .jpg of converted file with lost metadata. The metadata im using are site columns if that is significant. The Infoclass metadata is choice column the others are text or date.

Regards

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

thank you for confirmation that workflow is working.

I managed to reproduce the issue with duplicate ECB menu items/ECB menu item showing up even though the web application was not selected.
My steps were as follows:
- I installed an older version of Aspose.Words for SharePoint, namely 1.2, to the default web application.
- Then I retracted and removed the solution via Central Administration. I did that without deactivating the feature first.
- After that I installed the next version (1.3) and observed the duplicate menu items.

The reason is probably because we actually changed feature scope from Site level to Web application level starting from version 1.3. But the feature ID remained the same. It looks like SharePoint remembers a “site-level” ECB item in this scenario and shows it in the menu when the feature is deployed again. As menu item just launches an aspx page and supporting assembly is installed in GAC, it works.
Deinstallation with the new setup does not remove the “site-level” menu item.
The issue is caused by not deactivating the feature before removing the solution, version 1.2.

I tried the following steps to get rid of duplicated menu items:
- I removed the currently installed version with the current setup.
- Then I installed version 1.2 again. No duplicate menu items in this case.
- I removed version 1.2 by running 1.2 setup again. At the end screen a list of all site collections where the feature was deactivated was displayed.
- I installed the latest version again. I observed no issues with duplicate menu items and items in web applications where the feature was not activated.

Hope this helps.
Thanks and best regards,

Thank you for you request regarding copying site columns.

Currently, Aspose.Words for SharePoint only converts the data inside the document. As SharePoint itself is able to display some (MS Word) document properties (such as Author) as columns in the list, you can see them as columns for the converted document.

We can consider adding an option for copying document metadata to the converted document in the future. However, in case of list columns it may be difficult to determine which columns should be copied and which should not, as there is a lot of columns in a typical document library and some of them obviously should not be copied.

I’ve created an issue for you request in our defect database. You will be notified as soon as it is resolved.

Thanks & best regards,

Hi,

Following the procedure described to remove duplicate menu works. Duplicate menus are removed and menu only appear in the web app that is activated on install.

But this brings me back to my original problem. After the last reinstall of version 1.3 and activation ONLY on a non-default Web app (se-oss:36400 - se list of webb apps in .jpg) I get the error:

The resource object with key 'PageValidationSummaryText' was not found. at System.Web.Compilation.ResourceExpressionBuilder.ParseExpression(String expression, Type propertyType, ExpressionBuilderContext context) 
at System.Web.UI.BoundPropertyEntry.ParseExpression(ExpressionBuilderContext context) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.FillUpBoundPropertyEntry(BoundPropertyEntry entry, String name) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.AddBoundProperty(String filter, String name, String expressionPrefix, String expression, ExpressionBuilder expressionBuilder, Object parsedExpressionData, Boolean generated, String fieldName, String formatString, Boolean twoWayBound) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.PreprocessAttribute(String filter, String attribname, String attribvalue, Boolean mainDirectiveMode) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.PreprocessAttributes(ParsedAttributeCollection attribs) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.Init(TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, Type type, String tagName, String id, IDictionary attribs) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.CreateBuilderFromType(TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, Type type, String tagName, String id, IDictionary attribs, Int32 line, String sourceFileName) 
at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.CreateChildBuilder(String filter, String tagName, IDictionary attribs, TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, String id, Int32 line, VirtualPath virtualPath, Type& childType, Boolean defaultProperty) 
at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessBeginTag(Match match, String inputText) 
at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding)

Only if I active 1.3 on my default web abb (se-oss) does it work on the non-default (se-oss:36400) web app. This is the problem I had originally. I must activate on default Web app in order for it to work on a non-default Web app. When I do that the error is gone. Again - this is not really how I would expect it to work but its also not a total show stopper.

Regarding the copy of Sharepoint meta-data to a converted document. Ideally one would want to select which meta data to copy to conveerted document. Second best would be a choice to copy eiter All meta-data or Nothing. The meta-data is essential to identifying & filtering the document in Sharepoint without having to open the document.

Regards

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

sorry about delayed response to your last post. I’ve spent some time trying to reproduce the issue with activation on a non-default web application.

The error you describe occurs if Aspose.Words for SharePoint cannot access the resource file in the web application virtual directory. The resource file is normally placed there during feature activation. During activation, activation timer job looks for all URL zones for the web applications where the feature is activated, and updates their virtual directories.
So in your case for some reason the virtual directory for se-oss:36400 was not updated.

But the most strange thing is that everything starts to work after you activate on the default web application. This means that during activation for the default web application, the virtual directory of se-oss:36400 is updated as well. That is, both applications somehow share the same virtual directory.

I was not able to make such a configuration using SharePoint Central administration utility. However, I found the steps to make my SharePoint behave exactly as in your case. I went to the IIS Manager and manually updated virtual directory for my non-default web application to point to the same path with the default web application (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80). After that I observed the behavior you described. Activating on the non-default web application does not place the resource files in the default application’s virtual directory, because SharePoint “doesn’t know” about the change I made in the IIS manager. This leads to the error when launching conversion. Activating on the default web application fixes the error because the resource files appear in the default web application’s virtual directory, where the non-default web application finds them as well.

Could you please check, which home directories are listed in the IIS Manager for se-oss:36400 and the default web application on your installation? You can also check manually if AsposeWordsSharePoint*.resx files appear in these directories (in the App_GlobalResources folder) upon feature activation for their respective web applications.

Thanks & best regards,