Aspose.Words Out of Memory Exception When Exporting Text Report

I ran a test with a report, by limiting the number of rows in the dataset. For a small number of rows (61 pages in the report manager), I could export just fine. However, when I increased the size of the dataset (125 pages in the report manager), I get an asp.net error on dwrpt01ssr, with a “System.OutOfMemoryException” error.
I’ve seen similar errors in the forum but no resolutions. We are running the latest version of Aspose.Words.

Hi Dayle,
Thanks for your inquiry. Could you please post your .rdl report here and if possible your datasource as well for testing purposes? The developer responsible for Reporting Services will take a look shortly.
Thanks,

I cannot post the rdl source or the datasource given it is proprietary. The report runs in about 10 seconds. It only fails when exported. All Aspose formats fail when an export attempt is made, not only Text.

Hi Dayle,
Thank you for this additional information. Attaching documents to the forum is safe, only you and Aspose staff can see and download these attachments. We will keep all information private. You can also e-mail me your files if you prefer by clicking the Contact button above this post.
Please understand it is very hard to reproduce an issue like this without the source documents. Could you also post the specs of your deployment computer here. (RAM and OS would be the most useful).
Thanks,

I was incorrect about the version we were running. I am in the process of having the latest one 3.3.1 installed. I will provide an update after I perform more testing.

Hi

Thank you for additional information. The problem might occur because the generated reports is too large. Upon exporting the report Aspose.Words builds DOM of the document in memory and then export the DOM into the appropriate file format. Usually Aspose.Words requires few times more memory to build DOM than the document size. Have you tried exporting the same reports but with smaller data source (maybe you can apply some filter).
Also, we do not need your real data, you can create just dummy data source and RDL, which will allow us to reproduce the problem.
Best regards.

We got the latest version 3.3.1 and still had the memory error. Indeed the report is too large. We are not running out of memory on the server. It appears to only use about 300 meg of memory before it crashes and there is about a 1 gig of physical memory left on the server when that happens. A smaller report does render without failing but generating a smaller report is not an option. This report has 125 pages of text. I noticed that none of the out of the box formats fail when exported.

Hi

Thank you for additional information. But anyways we need a sample rdl report and rdl.data file to reproduce the problem. If it s possible, please create sample rdl and provide us with dummy data, which will allow us to reproduce the problem.
Best regards,

I will attach the RDL but I cannot attach the data file. What I don’t understand is why an Out Of Memory Exception is thrown when there is over a 1 gig of phyical memory left on the server when it errors out. Again, please not ALL Aspose export formats fail. Not only text.

Hello
Thank you for additional information. The developer, who is responsible for Aspose.Words for Reporting Service, will take a look at this issue and provide you more information. Since he has much more experience with this maybe he will have an idea why the problem might occur.
Best regards,