Aspose.words Unix Server Printing

Hi All

I am aware that Aspose.word supports sever-side printing from within .net application

I am wondering if there is support for server-side printing with Aspose.words in a Unix environment.
Aspose.words claims to be platform independent. I’m curious if anyone has tried this?

Thank you

Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry. Yes you can achieve your requirements using Aspose.Words. See Rendering and Printing in Aspose.Words for .NET in the documentation. In .NET there are two ways to print: via the .NET printing infrastructure or via the XpsPrint API.

When using the .NET printing, the easiest way to print is using the Aspose.Words.Document.Print method. It is also possible to completely customize the printing process, see the Aspose.Words.Rendering.AsposeWordsPrintDocument class.

If you want to print via the XpsPrint API, you need to use Aspose.Words.Document to convert a document to XPS first and then send it to the XpsPrint API. For more info see Print a Document on a Server via the XpsPrint API.

Hope this answers your query. Please let us know if you have any more queries.

Hi

Unfortunately you didn’t answer my question, I know that Aspose.words can be used in a .Net application, but my question is about Aspose.words being used on a Unix Operationg system.

Is it possible to achieve the same as you just described, using a Unix based server.

Thank you

Hi there,

Please accept my apologies for your inconvenience.

Aspose.Words for .NET implements printing via the .NET printing infrastructure, which is not available on Mono. So you can not use Aspose.Words at Unix based server.

In your case, I suggest you please use Aspose.Words for Java. Please read following documentation link for your kind reference.
http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsJava/Rendering+and+Printing

Please let us know if you have any more queries.

Hi

We are already looking to use Aspose.words for Java.
Does that mean we can use Aspose.words for Java on a Unix based sever to do server side printing?

Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry. Aspose.Words for Java is available for Java 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 and will run in any place where Java is installed. Please read the system requirements from here:
http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsjava/System+Requirements

Could you please share some detail about your scenario in which you want to use Aspose.Words? We will then provide you more information about your query.

Hi There

I have a few follow up questions on this topic. Hopefully you will be able to answer me.

We want to use this product for a number of reason, mainly the two we are interested in are the following.

-Docx conversion into PDF
-Server Side printing.

I have been told in the past that these are two things that Aspose.Words can achieve.

We want to build an Aspose.Words application that can will sit on a server (Windows OS and Unix OS). That will facilitate us to convert and print the documents that we send to the Sever.

Where I’m confused and what we really need answers too is the following.
  1. Will Aspose.Words for Java allow us to build an application that can sit and run on either, Windows Server 2012 R2 and above and a Unix OS based sever deployment.
  2. Can this Application be used to print the converted document to a defined printer, associated to the severs.
Thanks for the Help

Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry.
Newmanater:

Will Aspose.Words for Java allow us to build an application that can sit and run on either, Windows Server 2012 R2 and above and a Unix OS based sever deployment.

Yes, you can use Aspose.Words for Java at Windows Server 2012 and Unix OS. You can use Aspose.Words for Java in any place where Java is installed. Please use Aspose.Words for Java 14.8.0 and let us know if you face any issues.
Newmanater:

Can this Application be used to print the converted document to a defined printer, associated to the severs.

You can load documents of following load formats into Aspose.Words DOM and print them.
http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsjava/LoadFormat+Enumeration

Please read the overloaded print method of Document class from here:
http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsjava/com.aspose.words.Document+class