Aspose.Words vs Aspose.Words + Aspose.Pdf

What is the difference between rendering with Aspose.Words and rendering with the old method (Aspose.Words + Aspose.Pdf)? We are evaluating to see whether or not we can use these tools for our project and are getting different results when using the different methods.

Sometimes one gives better results than the other… and vice versa.

Hi
Thank you for your interest in Aspose products.
It has been possible to convert Word documents to PDF with Aspose.Words for .NET for long time, but it required two components Aspose.Words and Aspose.Pdf operating together. This conversion works well, but the fact that two products are involved has its costs for customers.
Starting from Aspose.Words 6.0.0 new Rendering Engine was introduced. It is making Aspose.Words convert documents to PDF directly. Using the Aspose.Words’ direct to PDF conversion gives you the following advantages:
· Improved performance. There is no need to save a document and images into intermediary XML to pass between Aspose.Words and Aspose.Pdf.
· Better fidelity. Aspose.Words Rendering Engine has been explicitly designed to reproduce Microsoft Word’s way of paginating and printing documents.
· Simpler code. Convert to PDF with as little as one line of code. The legacy conversion required writing about 20 lines of code.
· Cleaner deployment. There is no need to find temporary storage for image files to pass between components.
· Healthier support. Deal with only one support team instead of two if you have any issues.
· Cheaper. Buy only one component instead of two (unless you are buying Aspose.Total of course).
Please note, The legacy conversion that requires Aspose.Words and Aspose.Pdf will be supported only throughout 2009.
Also, please make sure you are using the latest version of Aspose.Words. There were many improvements and fixes made in our rendering engine. You can download Aspose.Words 6.1.0 from here:
https://releases.aspose.com/words/net
Best regards.

Thanks!

Especially for the information about legacy support.

I have attached a word document and output with multiple errors in each conversion method (using Aspose.Word v6.1.0.0 and Aspose.Pdf v3.9.0.0).

With Aspose.Word + Aspose.Pdf (legacy):
The shaded background does not render as it does in word.
The item list is not formatted as it is in word.
The invisible table does not render properly.

With Aspose.Word only (new method):
The font seems different (compare the character ‘5’ with the original document for example).
The email address is not underlined all the way.
Some words are smushed together (see ‘degree’ for example).

Are these known issues? Any ETA on fixes?

Thanks!

Hi
Thanks for your request.
Regarding new method:
The font seems different (compare the character ‘5’ with the original document for example).
This occurs because font is Cambria. Cambria regular is inside a TTC (True Type font collection). Aspose.Words does not support TTC fonts yet. It only supports TrueType and OpenType.
The email address is not underlined all the way.
I cannot reproduce this problem. E-mail address is displayed correctly. Please make sure you are using the latest version of Aspose.Words (6.1.0)
It seems to be a known issue #6792 in our defect database. I will notify you as soon as it is fixed.
The problem occurs because Patterns/Style = 15% is used. If set Pattern/Style = Clear and set background color “Gray-15%”, all works fine.
It seems the problem occurs because “Century Schoolbook” font is changed. Please make sure this font is installed on your environment.
Some words are smushed together (see ‘degree’ for example).
Cannot reproduce this problem on my side.
Unfortunately, I cannot see any problems here. Could you please clarify?
Regarding Aspose.Words+Aspose.Pdf:
It seems to be the problem occurs on Aspose.Words side. I created new issue #7417 in our defect database. I will notify you as soon as it is fixed.
The problem occurs because there a sequence of white spaces after highlighted text.
I think, this problem should be fixed on Aspose.Pdf side. Please post this question in their forum. Our colleagues will answer you shortly.
Unfortunately, I cannot see any problems here. Could you please clarify?
Best regards.

“Unfortunately, I cannot see any problems here. Could you please clarify?”

There are a bunch of extra spaces after the table. The extra spaces show up for me with both conversion methods. Do you see?

Anyways, thank you for your responses. Even with some of these errors, Aspose.Word is still much better than some of the other methods we’ve tried and very clean overall.

Keep up the good work!

Hi
Thank you for additional information. As I can see table looks fine. Here is screenshots of PDF and DOC:
Best regards.

Hmm, your output looks different from mine.

Can you give me any estimate on when these issues will be fixed (besides the table issue which you cannot reproduce)?

Can you give me any estimate on when your next major release will be?

Thanks!

Hi
Thanks for your request. I cannot provide you any reliable estimate at the moment. Please expect a reply before next hotfix
Aspose.Words releases are published every 3-5 weeks.
Best regards.

One last question if I may.

“The item list is not formatted as it is in word.
It seems the problem occurs because “Century Schoolbook” font is changed. Please make sure this font is installed on your environment.”

Could you please clarify? How can the font display Century Schoolbook when I open it in word if the font is not installed? I have the same problem with all other fonts that I’ve tried. It appears that the relative location of bullets in the list is not preserved across conversion (which can be problematic for us).

Hi
Thanks for your request. There are two lists in your document – “Resume tests” and “Work experience”.
Font of the second list is changed, because font is Cambria. Cambria regular is inside a TTC (True Type font collection). Aspose.Words does not support TTC fonts yet. It only supports TrueType and OpenType.
In the first list, I can see only that one “last” word goes to the second line of list item.
Could you please clarify which formatting is changed and simplify your document, so there is only problematic list?
Regarding fonts, if you create a document on machine where some font is installed and then open it on machine where this font is not installed, WS Word will show this font.
Best regards.

• Comment only *
    We may miss the feature that allows Aspose.Words to save as Aspose.PDF xml. We have successfuly used this feature to allow the static content desigenrs to create taylor reports for individulat groups with in our organizations, using XML data, and an XSL Stylesheet based off the Aspose.Words XML output from a word document.
    I have no judgment on the value of the new process, nor wish to tarnish the efforts of the Aspose Development team. I just wished to express, that we have found this particular ability, very useful, as I’m sure we can find new ways to accomplish the same goals, when newer methods are presented.
    Thank you.

Hello!
Thank you for your opinion. We’ll take it in consideration. Conversion to PDF via intermediate XML format will be supported at least within one year from the day we published Aspose.Words 6.0.0, or roughly all year 2009. After that we can decide whether to retain it or not.
The main scenario is making a PDF from any other supported format (DOC, DOCX, RTF etc.) This currently can be done with SaveToPdf. We’ll further improve our layouting/rendering engine to make it better than legacy conversion under all possible criteria. But if you need legacy conversion for any other scenarios we’ll also respect your experience. You can also describe what tasks you are solving and why you need intermediate XML. I expect you perform some postprocessing on it. We’ll try to suggest other possibilities.
Best regards,

Hello!
Thank you for your patience.
I have some update regarding #7417. Trailing whitespaces are shaded because shading is applied at the paragraph level and we don’t split text runs to shaded and non-shaded. Aspose.Pdf also doesn’t provide logic to ignore shading on the trailing spaces.
I can say that the issue is quite difficult to fix in general case and it is not very important. You have an easy workaround: just remove those spaces either manually or programmatically. You can also convert documents using another method, without Aspose.Pdf. Please let us know if #7417 is really important for you and why.
Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 6792) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(1)

7417 will not be fixed in Aspose.Words + Aspose.Pdf conversion. You should use the Aspose.Words’ direct to PDF conversion instead.