AttachedTemplate to show full path in case if normal.dot is used

Hi Aspose team,

would it be possible to extend AttachedTemplate to show full path if normal.dot is used? Now “” is shown, also source:
https://reference.aspose.com/words/net/aspose.words/document/attachedtemplate/

If I am not wrong path is usually “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dot”.

Thanks,
Oliver

Maybe additional reason - if I have XXX.doc document then normal template is normal.dot, in case of XXX.docx normal template is normal.dotx. I prefer to get from Aspose components full path to normal.dot(x) template as I need to know where it is.

Second scenario is if normal template is moved to other location, sometimes I need to update it thus need to have component returning it.

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your inquiry.

dr_oli:
If I am not wrong path is usually “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dot”.

MS Word uses “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates” path as default template path and Normal.dot is default template document.

dr_oli:
I prefer to get from Aspose components full path to normal.dot(x) template as I need to know where it is.

Empty string value of Document.AttachedTemplate property means the document is attached to the Normal template. You can find this normal template document at “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates”.

dr_oli:
Second scenario is if normal template is moved to other location, sometimes I need to update it thus need to have component returning it.

If you move the normal template document to some other location, you need to specify template path. You can set the template path in MS Word under developer’s tab in templates section. Please check the attached image for detail. You can use Document.AttachedTemplate property to set the full path of the template attached to the document.

Hope this answers your query. Please let us know if you have any more queries.

Hi,

thanks for reply.

I agree that Word is using C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates as path for normal template but template name depends on document type. For example, as far as I know in case of Word 2007 default template is Normal.dotm. In case of .DOC Normal template is Normal.dot.

In case of Word 2010 I think that default template is Normal.dotx

Is it possible that Aspose.Word returns default template with full path? This is needed as it will ensure that what is really written in document is returned.

Thanks,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your inquiry. The template document is Normal.dot for Legacy Word template. The template document is Normal.dotx/Normal.dotm for OOXML Word template. Please read the detail from following link.
List of Microsoft Office filename extensions

dr_oli:
Is it possible that Aspose.Word returns default template with full path? This is needed as it will ensure that what is really written in document is returned.

Aspose.Words extracts the information from the Word document. The Word document does not contain the information about location of default template document ("C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates").

Please let us know if you have any more queries.