Automatic task start date update

Hi,

I’m evaluating aspose tasks for a project and I’d like to confirm some features.

First, would it be possible to update a task start date based on theirs predecessors actual start date automatically? As MSProject does?

For example:

before
task1 : start 24/02/2010; finish: 24/02/2010 – actual start : empty; actual finish : empty
task2 : start 25/02/2010; finish: 25/02/2010

where task1 is a task2 predecessor

after
setting task1 actual dates

task1 : start 25/02/2010; finish: 26/02/2010 – actual start : 25/02/2010;
actual finish : 26/02/2010
task2 : start 01/03/2010; finish: 01/03/2010

Second, would it be possible to know all the updates generated by a task property change, as in the example before, by a callback or function?

Tanks

Vítor Batista

Hi Vitor,

Thank you a lot for your questions.

Now we have a list of issues about the project recalculation methods. I have added one from them ‘Implement project data recalculate methods’ with ID = 15459 from this forum thread to yours.

The feature implementation has been started and we are planning to complete it in Q4’2010. It takes so long as in common case task has some work, some cost, some resources assignments and whole data has to be recalculated when duration is changed.

You will get response from our corporate issue tracking system as the issue be resolved.

We are planning to add some events to the main project’s classes to raise them when data changes by recalculation as well.

Hi Sergey,

I'm pleased to hear about 'Implement project data recalculate methods'.

As a suggestion only, it would be nice to see some thoughts on an incremental approach to this area rather than a long development time ... for example...

• Critical Path Recalculation based upon start and end dates and dependencies
  • As above plus ... task recalc using calendars
  • as above plus ... task recalc using resource calendars
  • as above plus ... task recalc with resource availability and levelling
  • possible other combinations..

The above is just some thoughts ... The advantage is that I can get value from some basic support and help confirm that the calculations are working and stable. (plus we don't wait until Q4'2010.)

Here are my thoughts on the overall priority of this ... my overall needs:

1. Stable MS Project XML Read / Write (all versions) (100% confidence)
  2. Stable MS Project MPP Read (All versions) (100% confidence)
  3. Interface to Project Server ... on my wish list
  4. Stable MS Project MPP Write (All versions) ... on my wish list.
  5. Primavera XML Read / Write ... on my wish list
  6. Recalculate using Incremental approach
  7. Visual representation of Gantt charts etc... (I use charting packages or MS Project Viewers).

Please note ... my priorities do vary ... however, 1 and 2 are 'Must Have'; 3, 4, 5 and 6 are 'Should Have' and in fact the order can vary.

I'm sure that my needs are different from others - however, I'd be interested to see how others see the priorities.

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thank you a lot for the information!

We have to mix the tasks as they are tightly linked, e.g., we have to complete some project recalculation when read data as some information is not a part of the file (specially XML), the only way to be 100% sure we are reading project correctly it is to write it back, we can not write back inconsistent data in MPP as in this case MS Project is not so omnivorous as with XML, I like to see on screen the information I read and so on.

But our main priorities are fully met your requirements may be except Primavera XML writing.

Thank you a lot again.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as TASKS-15459) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(3)

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for JasperReports 18.3 update.