AWEPUB & AWXPS Configuration Error

We recently manually installed version 3.2.0 of Aspose.Words for Reporting Services on our SQL 2008 box. The MSI would not install properly. The following .NET code using the ReportViwer control worked fine with a previous version of Aspose on our SQL 2005 box:

byte[] bytes = ReportViewer.ServerReport.Render("AWDOC", null, out mimeType, out encoding, out extension, out streamids, out warnings);

With the current version of Aspose we installed, making the same call times out. It doesn't appear anything is happening. If I change the format in the above code to use one of the Microsoft built in formats like WORD or PDF everything works fine.

The log on our report server contains the following errors:

library!WindowsService_0!15d4!10/14/2009-09:21:23:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error. , Could not create Extension of type: Rendername: AWEPUB;

Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error.

extensionfactory!WindowsService_0!15d4!10/14/2009-09:21:23:: e ERROR: Exception caught instantiating AWEPUB report server extension: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error.

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.ExtensionClassFactory.CreateExtensionObject(Extension extConfig, Boolean typeOnly).

library!WindowsService_0!15d4!10/14/2009-09:21:23:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error. , Could not create Extension of type: Rendername: AWXPS;

Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error.

extensionfactory!WindowsService_0!15d4!10/14/2009-09:21:23:: e ERROR: Exception caught instantiating AWXPS report server extension: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error.

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.ExtensionClassFactory.CreateExtensionObject(Extension extConfig, Boolean typeOnly).

What could be happening? Is there possibly a problem with our installation?

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Thank you for your reuqest. Could you please make sure the assembly installed is 3.2.0 indeed? Maybe there are AWXPS and AWEPUB entries in the .config file but the dll is outdated?

Also, what error did the MSI installer show?

The dll appears to be version 3.2.0. One thing I noticed is that on the instructions to manually install the software the instructions say to use the dll in the SSRS2008 folder which is in the zip file I downloaded. As part of the zip file there is a folder called ReportViewer2008 which contains a dll with the same name but the file is a little bigger compared to the dll in SSRS2008 folder. Should I be using the dll in the ReportViewer2008 folder?

Attached are two screen shots that show the errors from the MSI installer.

Thanks.

The one in the ReportViewer2008 folder is required when using ReportViewer in local mode, while you seem to be rendering server reports, which means the dll installed on the Report Server makes sense. Therefore it should be from the SSRS2008 directory.

When you run Report Manager, do the two problematic export formats appear on the dropdown list?

The formats do appear in the dropdown list. See screen shot.

Also something weird going on. When I make the call to render the report with an Aspose format using the ReportViewer control, Reporting Services consumes all the memory on the server and doesn't release the memory for about 10 minutes until something times out.

That is weird indeed.

If you try to export to an Aspose format (including XPS or EPUB) directly via the Report Manager, do any problems occur? My idea is to detect whether the 3.2.0 version causes the problems or there is something wrong on the client (Report Viewer/application) side.

Thanks.

All the export options work via Report Manager and through Visual Studio. The only option that doesn't work is through the Report Viewer control.

Is there anything on the server we could look at? The code just seems to freeze when it hits the server and tries rendering the report in an Aspose format. As mentioned before everything works fine when I use a built-in Microsoft format like PDF or WORD.

What about rolling back to a different version of the dll?

I will try to implement a similar application for testing purposes shortly. That is basically strange because Report Server should render reports in the same way regardless of whether it is initiated via Report Manager or a service used by Report Viewer. BTW, is your application large? If not, is it possible to send me the part responsible to work with Report Viewer and render the report?

Meanwhile, I think, it is really worth rolling back to the previous version unless the XPS and EPUB formats are an absolute requirement. Please do that and tell me if it works now.

Thanks.

Version 3.1 isn’t working either. Same behavior. Are there any special configurations we need to do on the SQL 2008 box to get Aspose to work from .NET calls? The setup on our 2005 box was pretty easy.

Any thoughts on my last post? Thanks.

Sorry for waiting, I must have missed your last post. Could you please confirm, whether this (freeze) happens to any arbitrary report or to some certain report?

Also, did you remove the AWXPS and AWEPUB entries when you rolled back to 3.1?

Answering your question, the configuration steps are identical for both SSRS2005 and SSRS2008.

The freeze does happen with one report. Other reports seem to work fine. We did remove AWXPS and AWEPUB when we rolled back to 3.1

What could possibly be part of the report that would cause it to freeze? Is there anything I can provide you which would give some insight into the problem?

Please provide the .rdl and rdl.data files to let me reproduce the problem on my side. I will then try to fix the issue instantly.

Thanks.

The two files you requested are in the attached zip file. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I have reproduced the issue, logged it in our defect database, then fixed it and closed the defect. Thank you for reporting the issue to us and please expect an official hotfix on Monday.

BTW it had nothing to do with the AWXPS and AWEPUB configuration error. Once you install the latest version available on Monday, let me know if this error is back.

Thanks.

About what time do you think the hotfix will be up?

Thanks.

Literally in a couple of hours. I’m preparing it for release.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 11581) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.