Barcode with watermark after migration

Hi Aspose support gurus,

I have encountered an issue during the SSRS migration and need your help.

Recently, I have migrated our SSRS 2016 reports (just download RDLs and then upload) to SSRS 2017.

I copied the three files from the old server to the new server (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services\SSRS\ReportServer\bin)

Aspose.BarCode.Reporting.Services.lic
Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll — note: this is ver 17.4
Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.xml

Also I have modified

Now the issue is the barcode can be displayed after migration but with watermark text (aspose.barcode.emulation.version) displaying on the top of the barcode

We thought this is probably due to the license not transferrable from one server to another, as such, we contact the Aspose sales department and get a temporary license to test it. I installed the license by following the instruction (i.e. install license to registry manually) [Install License|Documentation]

I also copied the lic file (given by the Aspose sales department) to the \SSRS\ReportServer\bin\ folder (replacing the original one)

However, when I check the SSRS report again, it still has the watermark text there.

Can you please let me know what I should do to get rid of the watermark? Am I missing some steps?

Thanks in advance for your time and support.
Jeff

PS: I actually tested in our DEV environment by installing various newer versions of Aspose.BarCode.ReportingServices.dll by downloading the installation .msi from aspose website, and it seems the watermark cannot be ridden of.

Also, another fact, our company seems to have lost the source code for the SSRS report project, so we want to use existing RDL files only without recompiling and recoding the deployment.

We will purchase a permanent license once our test is successful.

@jxhyao,

We recommend you to kindly try using latest version of the API onto new server. Are you trying to use (new) temporary license with older version, i.e., Aspose.BarCode for Reporting Services 17.4? If true, kindly do try latest version, Aspose.BarCode for Reporting Services 22.2. Also, please follow the instructions in the document to install the temporary license.

Thanks @Amjad_Sahi, initially, I used the latest version, i.e. Aspose.Barcode for Report Services 22.2, however, I got the following error “Can’t render barcode not enough space”
Capture.JPG (3.5 KB)

So I started to use lower versions, from ver 17.4 up to ver 19.xx, for these lower versions, I do not see the error of “can’t render barcode not enough space” but just watermark embedded in the barcode.

So I guess it is the issue of the license applicability. Is it possible that Aspose can provide us a license applicable to ver 17.xx or ver 19.xx so I can test this license?

Thanks,
Jeff

@jxhyao,

Could you elaborate and provide more details with sample(s) on how to reproduce the issue on our end. We will check your issue soon.

Hi @Amjad_Sahi,

Really appreciate your quick response, I do not know how I can help you to repeat my issue because I only have the RDL file (and the report also needs to access our database to retrieve data for the report).

But just as you suggested, I believe the license must be functioning when I use the latest version of Aspose.Barcde for SSRS (i.e. ver 22.2) because it reported the error (even though the barcode is not generated) instead of putting a watermark on the barcode when I use the lower version.

If you really need to repeat what I said, is it possible you can do the following

1. Create a simple SSRS report using Aspose.Barcode for SSRS ver 17.4 (any version upto ver 19.xx)
  2. Replace the Aspose.Barcode for SSRS with the latest version ver 22.2

and then see whether you can experience the same error as I see?

Thanks,
Jeff

@jxhyao,

Could you please provide your RDL file and also database scripts (if possible) for which you got the issue (“can’t render barcode not enough space”) with latest version of Aspose.BarCode for Reporting Services. We will investigate your issue soon.

Hi @Amjad_Sahi,

Is it possible that you gave me an email account so I can email you the RDL file directly instead of posting the RDL here ?

You can send me your email info to my office email at jeffreyyao (at) markanthony (dot) com

Thanks a bunch !

Jeff

You can try to increase resolution to 300 or 600 dpi

The problem is invoked by large barcode with small allocated size on image when barcode cell or bar could be less then 1 pixel.

@alexander.gavriluk, thanks for your reply which totally makes sense.

Just a qq, how to increase the resolution assuming I only have an RDL file at hand? By modifying the RDL file?

Further info for your @alexander.gavriluk, I opened the RDL file in a text editor, and I see such items
_dpiX96
_dpiY96

I guess this is the resolution configuration you refer to in your suggestion? i.e. currently it is set as 96, but I should increase it to 300? Am I right?

Thanks again to you and Amjad for your quick help, really appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Jeffrey

You can:

In 21H2 we updated out Reporting services component to BarcodeGenerator instead of BarcodeBuilder and properties names were changed.

In last versions it has name _resolution. And now we have united resolution for _dpiX and _dpiY

PS
You can create new project with Aspose.BarCode for Reporting Services in VS, change the resoluton and just copy value into rdl.
Or you can use 20.6 version, it uses obsolete and removed BarcodeBuilder, but has some bugs.

@alexander.gavriluk, I followed your instructions and actually here is my detailed steps

• install MRSP into VS2017/2019

• install Aspose.BarCode for Reporting Services with MSI installer

• install the temporary license using “SSRS Config License” tool

• start VS2019, and create a new SSRS project and add the RDL file in question into the project

• open the RDL (in the VS2019 design window)

But I find the error “The custom report item type BarCode is not installed” as shown below
customitemtype_msg.jpg (6.5 KB)

Now what can I do?

Note: I have also modified rsreportserver.config by replacing original Name=“BarcodeGenerator” to Name=“BarCode” because my custom item was BarCode not BarcodeGenerator as below

I made the same change to rspolicy.config by replacing “BarcodeGenerator” with “BarCode”

I also rebooted my computer.

Thanks again for your help !

@jxhyao,

We are sorry that your issue is not resolved. We have now logged an investigation ticket with an id “BARCODEREP-140” into our database. We will look into the details of your issue. Once we have an update on it, we will let you know.

1. In RDL report, is the component named as “BarCode” or “BarcodeGenerator”? Must be “BarcodeGenerator”, as in config files.

Hi @alexander.gavriluk, thanks again for your prompt reply. Yes, in RDL report, the component is named as “BarCode” (which I believe for Aspose old version DLLs, they all use BarCode instead of BarCodeGenerator). that’s why I have to modify the config files to use use “BarCode” instead of “BarCodeGenerator”

Many thanks @Amjad_Sahi!

Could you:

• create new RDL project in VS2019
  • add component to the project, save it and see the changes?

Hi @alexander.gavriluk, I try to follow your instructions. But I think I am lost somewhere, maybe you can quickly point me to the right direction.

I create a new SSRS project in VS2019, and then I add a new report. Once the new report is displayed in the designer. I expect to see a custom item (say aspose.barcode) in the toolbox
toolbox.jpg (19.0 KB)
But obviously, that’s not the case.
So how do I create a barcode using aspose barcode for SSRS component?
Do you have a quick tutorial for me to follow?

Thanks again for your time and help.

Kind regards,
Jeffrey