Box and Whisker chart ignoring multiple x-axis categories

Hi,
I have three simple box and whisker charts that display fine in native Excel, but when processed through Cells-python-java 23.8 ignores multiple categories in the x-axis.

Attached is the sample excel file and the pdf output after the file is processed through Cells. There are three charts, the first two are set to reference the x-axis data and the third is not.

In Excel, the first two charts are broken up into categories along the x-axis as expected. This does not work in Cells. In Cells, the resulting charts just lump all the data into one chart per y-axis column.

Testing Box and Whisker.zip (167.2 KB)

Thanks in advance.

@jblair
By using sample files and code for testing, we can reproduce the issue.we have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): CELLSNET-54325

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

@jblair,

Please note, we have fixed the issue in the .NET version, and it will also be resolved in other versions (e.g., Python-Java version). The version 23.10 will be published in coming week or so.

@jblair
The bug has been fixed in Aspose.Cells for Python via Java 23.10.

Thanks! I will update and see how it goes.

I’m sorry to report that it is almost, but not quite fixed. The graphs look good, there is one graph per category, except that there is only a label along the x-axis for the first category. The remaining category x-axis labels are missing. Also, why is the Aspose x-axis label in vertical layout?

Here are images of the native excel and aspose processed graphs.

Archive.zip (59.5 KB)

@jblair
Hi, sometimes, if the text of the axis label is too long to display in full, we rotate the label to show it completely. Please zip and attach input Excel file (containing the chart(s)) and output PDF by Aspose.Cells for Python via Java v23.10. We will check your issue soon.

Box-and-whisker.zip (504.1 KB)

Here are the Excel file and resulting, aspose produced, pdf file. In the Excel file, the corresponding graphs are found on the tabs labeled ‘Report_x’.

@jblair
By using sample files and code for testing, we can reproduce the issue.I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused you.We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): CELLSPYTHONJAVA-73

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

Thank you for continuing to look into this issue. I look forward to v. 23.11! :smiley:

@jblair,

Sure, we will keep you posted with any updates once they are available on your issue.

Hello again,
It has been brought to my attention that there is another very important part of the Excel box-and-whisker that is not reproduced in the Aspose processed pdf.

In Excel, in addition to the box-and-whisker component of the graph, the data outliers are also plotted as dots above and below the box-and-whisker component. For our reporting, we consider the outlying data points as critical. Attached are two pdfs, one from Excel demonstrating the outlier data, and the same after processing through Aspose, lacking the outlier data.

Re_ Aspose cells updated to 23.10 on test report server.zip (307.5 KB)

Thank you for your kind attention in this matter.

@jblair
Thanks for your feedback and details. We will investigate your issue further. Hopefully we can figure it out soon. Once we have an update on it, we will let you know.

@jblair
Drawing outliers points is currently not supported for us, and we are planning to develop this feature as a new enhancement. Once the development is completed, we will release it in our latest version.Thank you.

@jblair The issues you have found earlier have been fixed in Aspose.Cells for Python via Java 23.11.

• Aspose.Cells for Python via Java v23.11 (Releases | Pip)

Will this update also include the box-and-whisker outlier points, or is that still an enhancement for the future?

@jblair,

Yes, new version also supports to render outlier points in the the box-and-whisker chart.

This is great news! Thank you very much.

@jblair,

You are welcome.

Well, I just tested the box-and-whisker and it is almost perfect. Thanks again for all the hard work you have already put into this.

However, I have identified one more issue. If there are a large number of x-axis labels, they are printing in the middle of the graph, instead of at the bottom. A minor issue to be sure, but annoying. I have tested it with 5 x-axis labels, also, and it looks perfect!

Attached are the files with the 25 x-axis labels. Thanks again for all your excellent effort.

Archive 3.zip (1.5 MB)