Breaking changes in Aspose.Cells 18.2 for .NET Core

I’ve upgrade Aspose.Cells from 17.12 to 18.2 and now my code is broken.

Worksheet has no Pictures property any more.

Worksheet oWorksheet = …
Picture oPicture = oWorksheet.Pictures[nIndex];

It’s not documented anywhere in release notes.
The documentation on managing pictures still refers to this property - Managing Pictures|Documentation

What do you suggest to use instead?

And please document all breaking changes. It’s very painful.

@Shrike

Thanks for using Aspose APIs.

Please make sure you are using .NET 2.0 or .NET 4.0 Aspose.Cells dlls and you are not using .NET Core or .NET Standard dlls.

We have tested this issue with .NET 4.0 dll and it is working fine.

Please download and try the following sample console application project at your end and let us know your feedback.

Please refer to following links which document release notes or changes introduced in every new release for your help.

Release Notes|Documentation
Aspose.Cells for .NET 18.2 Release Notes|Documentation

My project targets dotnet core which is supported according release notes.

@Shrike

We are afraid, some of the features are missing in .NET Core but they will be available in March (due in next few days) or April release hopefully.

Please see this document for more detail.

1 Like

That table with feature comparison is what I needed.
I compiled the project on .net core with 17.12 and it didn’t break. But I didn’t run it on .net core due to other problems. So it looked for as API removal. I hope you’ll implement picture support for .net core soon. looking for. Thanks!

@Shrike,

Well, we introduced .NET Core assembly in newer versions (e.g Aspose.Cells for .NET v18.2) only. And, yes, insert/manipulate images feature is not supported on .NET Core yet. For your information, we are working on developing those missing features (as per the comparison list). Hopefully, in the next couple of months we could provide the .NET Core assembly which will support most of the features (including yours) similar to our regular .NET API.

1 Like

Let me ask here about one more issue specific to the .net core porting.
I can see in the new 18.3 version of Cells that a new type Aspose.Cells.Font was introduced. As I understand it’s used instead of System.Drawing.Font. But it’s missing any FontFamily info. How is it supposed to use fonts on .net core ? Is there any documentation about this change?

@Shrike,

Please see the following sample code that works fine with .NET Core assembly for your reference:
e.g
Sample code:

//Instantiating a Workbook object
            Workbook workbook = new Workbook();

//Obtaining the reference of the newly added worksheet by passing its sheet index
            Worksheet worksheet = workbook.Worksheets[0];

//Accessing the "A1" cell from the worksheet
            Aspose.Cells.Cell cell = worksheet.Cells["A1"];

//Adding some value to the "A1" cell
            cell.PutValue("Hello Aspose!");

Style st = cell.GetStyle();

Aspose.Cells.Font font = st.Font;

//Setting the font name to "Times New Roman"
            font.Name = "Times New Roman";

//Setting font size to 14
            font.Size = 14;

//setting font color as Red
            font.Color = Aspose.Cells.Drawing.Color.Red;

cell.SetStyle(st)
;

//Saving the Excel file
            workbook.Save(@"dest2.xls");

For documentation, I think you may check the Aspose.Cells.xml file in the same folder, i.e., “\netCore” for your reference. And, once we develop those missing features, we will add a document to list the API Changes and other limitations.

1 Like