Can not load file

I get “This file’s format is not supported or you don’t specify a correct format” error when I try to open attached file with the following code :

Aspose.Cells.Workbook wb = new Aspose.Cells.Workbook(@“C:\TEMP\test5\synergy.xls”);
Hi Huseyin,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells.

This file is actually in a very old format which is not supported by Aspose.Cells APIs. If you open it in Excel application and save it with Save-As menu, you will notice that Excel will show you its format i.e Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook (*.xls). Please note, Aspose.Cells APIs support BIFF8 or greater formats (Excel 97 - Excel 2010/2013), so you cannot read/write the Excel 95 or earlier file formats.

As a workaround, you may try the following steps to work with this file while using Aspose.Cells APIs.
  • Open your template file into MS Excel (e.g..,Ms Excel 2003 or 2007/2010).
  • Save the file As "Microsoft Office Excel Workbook".
Now you can use Aspose.Cells to open/manipulate the file for your requirements, it will work fine.

Thank you for your quick response and the information suplied.

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells.

It is good to know that you now know that old 95 excel format is not supported by Aspose.Cells. Let us know if you encounter any other issue, we will be glad to look into it and help you further.