Can we generate a report directly in google spread sheet using Aspose Java code?

Dear Team,

I have got a general doubt while developing my excel report using Aspose java code. Do we have an option in Aspose where we can directly generate a report in Google Spread Sheet instead of using a standard MS Excel template. If not, do you have any idea whether this can be possible through Aspose Java. Thanks in advance for your response.

Regards
Yasaswini Challa

@YaSaSwini,

Aspose.Cells cannot deal with native Google Spreadsheet format directly. It supports MS-Excel file formats and follows MS Excel standards and specifications. Moreover, regarding read/open Google spreadsheet, you got to save Google documents in supported MS Excel formats first, then you can load these documents via Aspose.Cells object model for rendering.

By the way, do you mean saving a workbook to the internal format data which is manipulated by the online google doc tools. I am afraid, we have no knowledge about the Google format or make Aspose.Cells cooperate spreadsheets with Google’s tools.This is out of context of Aspose.Cells APIs.

Thank you Amjad for your detailed clarification.

Hi Amjad,

Again a small clarification needed. Can’t we try generating reports in open office instead of MS Office? (Which can save lot of investment).

Kindly provide your view on it.

Regards
Yasaswini Challa

@YaSaSwini,

Well, you can use open office to generate reports as long as you could save to and follow MS Excel supported file formats.

Hi Amjad,

Thank you for your response but am bit confused. Do you mean that I cannot generate and use the reports without having MsExcel installed in my machine?

@YaSaSwini,

Sorry for the confusion.

Aspose.Cells is completely independent API that does not require MS Office (Excel) to be installed on the client or server to work with it. OpenOffice mostly support the formats which MS Excel supports (e.g XLS, ODS, XLT, SpreadsheetML (.xml), etc.), so you can surely use Aspose.Cells to manipulate (open/update) the template files (which you have created using OpenOffice). Similarly you may use Aspose.Cells APIs to generate reports which can be opened fine into OpenOffice.

Should you have any further query or confusion, do let us know.