Cannot open Excel95

Hi again :slight_smile:

I have a lot of xls files in old Excel95 format. I can open them using Excel.Open(…); method,
but
Excel.Worksheets.Count == 0

I.e. Aspose.Excel doesn’t find any worksheet in these files…

So the question is:
Can Aspose.Excel read Excel95 files?

P.S. I can send you my xls file which does not work with Aspose.Excel.

Hi,

Aspose.Excel is designed to support Excel95 file format at first.

Excel95 format file has major differences with Excel97 and above version file. Because many new features are added to Aspose.Excel after the first release and most of our users use Excel97 and above version of Excel, Excel95 format support does not keep up with the enhancement.

The workaround is: you can use Excel97 or above version of MS Excel to open those old files and save them as Excel97 or above version of xls file. Then Aspose.Excel can open them without any problems.

Thanks a lot!

I think I will have to open Excel95 by excel.exe and save then in new format.
But I want to be sure original file is excatly Excel95 to avoid performance decrease caused by call to excel.exe API when file is Excel97 or higher and this conversion is not necessary (see my previous post)

If you manually use MS Excel to save the file as new format, you doesn’t need to know the exact format of the file. If you want to call excel.exe API, could you tell me how to do it?

MSExcel.Application app = new MSExcel.ApplicationClass();
MSExcel.Workbooks wbs = app.Workbooks;
MSExcel.Workbook wb = wbs.Open(“c:\0\1.xls”, 0, true, 5,
“”, “”, true, MSExcel.XlPlatform.xlWindows, “\t”, false, false,
0, true, 0, false);

wb.SaveAs(“c:\0\2.xls”, MSExcel.XlFileFormat.xlWorkbookNormal,
“”, “”, false, false, MSExcel.XlSaveAsAccessMode.xlExclusive, 0, false, “win-1251”, false, false);

Does MSExcel.Application object have a property of Version?