Cell Operations

1) Does Aspose GridWeb have auto fill option like Excel? Eg if you type in a number or date in cell in excel, and you seelct the small box at the bottom right corner of the cell and drag it down, the cells values are automatically populated.

2) If there is a list validation on the cell, can the value be autocompleted as the user starts typing in the cell? Eg if the possible values for a cell are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc, can the option "Monday" be automatically selected from the list validation as the user types "M" in the cell?

Hi,

1) The feature is not available. We have added your feature request into our issue tracking system with an issue id: CELLSNET-14190. We will let you know if there is any update about it.

2) The feature is not available. We have added your feature request into our issue tracking system with an issue id: CELLSNET-14191. We will let you know if there is any update about it.

Hi,

2) Well, I think you can set the ValidationType to DropDownList to support selecting item automatically via typing a character. For example, see the following sample code:

sheet.Cells["b2"].CreateValidation(ValidationType.DropDownList, true);

sheet.Cells["b2"].Validation.ValueList.Add("Monday"); sheet.Cells["b2"].Validation.ValueList.Add("Tuesday"); sheet.Cells["b2"].Validation.ValueList.Add("Wednesday");

Thank you.

The problem with this is that once you set the drop down list, you loose the functionality of moving onto the cell and to start typing immediately. You need to open the drop down list before typing, which is very inconvenient for large amounts of data.

Also, as you type you expect the drop down list to restrict the drop down options available to start reducing. Eg if you type "Wed" you should only end up with one option (Wednesday) to choose from, but if you type in "day" you should still have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in the lsit to choose from as all of these contain the substring "day". i.e. partial matching is expected here.

Kindly advise

Thanks

Please advise accordingly, as this is a high prority issue for us

Thanks

Hi,

We will look into your issue and get back to you soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

Please try the attached version.

We have enhanced/fixed the issue of filtering list validation
items by inputting characters in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v<st1:chsdate isrocdate=“False” islunardate=“False” day=“30” month=“12” year=“1899” w:st=“on”>2.1.1</st1:chsdate>.2003 (attached).
Please try the following code:

<o:p></o:p>

sheet.Cells["b2"].CreateValidation(ValidationType. List, true);

sheet.Cells["b2"].Validation.ValueList.Add("Monday");

sheet.Cells["b2"].Validation.ValueList.Add("Tuesday");

<span style=“font-size: 10pt; font-family: “Courier New”;” lang=“EN-US”>
sheet.Cells[“b2”].Validation.ValueList.Add(“Wednesday”);

Thank you.

Excellent, tThanks! Seems to work well :-)

One last thing on this. If the user types in "day" in the cell, it will obviously fail the validation and the cell will be correctly become highlighted. The user must then click on the drop down arrow and select an item from the filtered list.

Is there some way to open this drop down list on the cell using the keyboard only? Having to always use the mouse can be a bit slow. For example, once the user types in "day" in the cell and presses enter, if the cell failed validation the filtered drop down list will automatically appear. The user can the use the up/down arrow keys to select an item in the list, then press enter to select the correct value and have the cell updated. Keyboard entry will make it faster and more user friendly for large spreadsheets and more 'advanced' users.

Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We have added your requirement to our internal issue tracking system with issue id: CELLSNET-17098. We will look into it and get back to you soon.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Please try the attached latest version and let us know if it works fine for you.

Hi,

Please try the attached version.

We have fixed your issue.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

We will further look into it and get back to you soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

We have fixed the first 3 issues in
Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v<st1:chsdate isrocdate=“False” islunardate=“False” day=“30” month=“12” year=“1899” w:st=“on”>2.1.1</st1:chsdate>.2007 (attached). But, we
could not find the 4th issue. Please give us a sample project to
illustrate it. We will check it soon.<o:p></o:p>

Thank you.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

The issues mentioned previously seem to be working, but now I realised that there are a number of issues related to the Enter and Arrow keys, and the events being fired.

1) A drop down list with the items "AAA" and "ABA" is added on a cell. If I type in "AA" (or "AAA") in the cell, there will only be *one* match. On pressing enter, one would expect the value "AAA" to be automatically selected from the list and placed in the cell, and to move on to the next cell as usual. This is not happening.

2) In the example above, if I type in "AA" there will only be one match in the filtered list. If I then try to use the down arrow to select the single item in the list, this won't work. These arrows work when there are multiple items in the list

3) The down arrow works when there are multiple items in the list. But then, once an item is selected by pressing the enter key, the user remains stuck in the cell. Pressing enter in the cell won't work, requiring the mouse to be used.

4) Using version 2003, I had handled the clientside OnCellErrorClientFunction(). When an error occurs in a cell that has list validations, I was bringing up a modal popup with some data. The user then selects an item in this popup, and using a callback I was setting the value chosen in the popup on the cell. This new value was validating correctly against the cell validations list. This worked perfectly in version 2003, but unfortunately stopped working in the latest version (which is a bit of a concern as the new updates caused otherwise functional code to stop working!).

I noticed that after setting the cell value via the callback, the client error side function is triggering again causing the popup to come up a second time. This behaviour however, happens only if after entering the value in the the cell, the user presses the Enter key to terminate cell data entry and to validate the input. If, on the other hand, the user presses the Tab key or the mouse to leave the cell and trigger validation, this problem does not occur and it works as it used to in the 2003 version!

I know this thread has become somewhat long, but this is probably the most critical functionality for us, and it really needs to be working well before we stop using the trial version and purchase all the required licenses to go live with it! We're almost there! :-)

Hi,

We have enhanced your mentioned issues i.e…, 2, 3, 4 in the
Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v<st1:chsdate isrocdate=“False” islunardate=“False” day=“30” month=“12” year=“1899” w:st=“on”>2.1.1</st1:chsdate>.2008 (attached). When there
is only one matched item in validation list, you can select it via down key
first, and then using enter key to set the value to cell.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback,

We will further look into it and get back to you soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

We have enhanced the behavior of validation list in
Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v<st1:chsdate isrocdate=“False” islunardate=“False” day=“30” month=“12” year=“1899” w:st=“on”>2.1.1</st1:chsdate>.2009 (attached). You can press
enter key only once to fire the OnCellErrorClientFunction client event.

Thank you.

Hi,

Please try the attached version. We have fixed the issue in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v<st1:chsdate isrocdate=“False” islunardate=“False” day=“30” month=“12” year=“1899” w:st=“on”>2.1.1</st1:chsdate>.2010 (attached).

Thank you.

Problem of loosing focus is now happening when selecting an item in the list with the mouse, and then trying to navigate using keyboard…

Hi,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Please try the attached latest version of Aspose.Cells.GridWeb (v<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 />2.1.1.2011). We have fixed the issue of loosing focus when selecting an item in validation list with mouse.