Chart objects in Excel / Word and output in pdf

Hi,

by now we make use of your Aspose.Excel component and it does a very good job. Right now we do some research with your PDF, Word and PowerPoint components to fit the following requirement:

I want to create a pdf with a lot of charts in it. Any support for charting in pdf?

I saw that the word component supports pdf export. Is there a way to add charts in the word document? Sometimes we need to modify some values of the charts, so we need to access the data behind the chart. So an export as an image is not what we need.

The next question is very close related to the last one: Adding charts to PowerPoint is only possible as an image - but still we need to access the data behind the charts.

Do you have a proposel how we can manage these tasks?
- Create a lot of charts and be able to modify the data (maybe from excel to word or PowerPoint)
- When possible in word - maybe placeholders for charts are also supported?

Thanks in advance

Michael Mann

Hi Michael,

I don’t think we can offer anything apart from inserting charts as static images into documents. Basically you need to generate a chart image, say using Aspose.Chart and then insert it into Aspose.Word or Aspose.PowerPoint.

In Aspose.Word you can use DocumentBuilder.MoveToXXX methods to navigate to a location in the document and then DocumentBuilder.InsertImage to insert the chart image.

Do you want users of end documents to be able to modify charts in the documents or what exactly do you have in mind?

You can keep the original data somewhere in a database or in Excel spreadsheet and rebuild charts and insert them into documents again if you want to.

Hi,

>>Do you want users of end documents to be able to modify charts in the documents or what exactly do you have in mind?

Yes, that is exactly what we intend to do. Let’s say we generate a reporting, a complete word document, or PowerPoint with all the charts in it. Some charts need to be modified and therefore the user needs to update the data. I thought about an automated way, so if it would have been possible that the data is in the chart object itself, then it would be only one step to modify if and generate a pdf out of it, because that’s what we need in the end. A pdf document.

All I see now, is that generating a word document is the best solution using MergeFields to cover templates and inserting images into the document. Based on that document the end user can generate a pdf. But I don’t like the step in the middle, because we need to generate that little chart and provide that on a programmatic basis - if that would have been possible in the word document it would have been much more easier!

Thanks for your answers

Michael Mann

Hi,

>>Do you want users of end documents to be able to modify charts in the documents or what exactly do you have in mind?

Yes, that is exactly what we intend to do. Let’s say we generate a reporting, a complete word document, or PowerPoint with all the charts in it. Some charts need to be modified and therefore the user needs to update the data. I thought about an automated way, so if it would have been possible that the data is in the chart object itself, then it would be only one step to modify if and generate a pdf out of it, because that’s what we need in the end. A pdf document.

All I see now, is that generating a word document is the best solution using MergeFields to cover templates and inserting images into the document. Based on that document the end user can generate a pdf. But I don’t like the step in the middle, because we need to generate that little chart and provide that on a programmatic basis - if that would have been possible in the word document it would have been much more easier!

What do I need to be aware of when inserting images concerning resizing and scaling of the images?

Thanks for your answers

Michael Mann

Not sure what is the question now. It is possible to insert and scale images using Aspose.Word. See DocumentBuilder.InsertImage overloads.