Checkell

Hi,
I encountered some issues to check if a cell is empty. I noticed that Checkcell can return null but also a Cell of IsNull type

So it seems that to check if a cell is empty, it necessary to have a double check

public static bool IsCellNull(Worksheet ws, int r, int c) {
        bool res = true;
        Cell cellnull = ws.Cells.CheckCell(r,c);
        if (cellnull != null) {
            if (cellnull.Type != CellValueType.IsNull) {
                res = false;
            }
        }
        return res;
    }

Am I right ?
Is there another way to check if a cell is empty ?

Thanks
Olivier

@olivier57
Cells.CheckCell(int row, int column): Return Cell object if a Cell object exists. Return null if the cell does not exist.
If there is a cell object and its value is null, then Cell.Type will get in CellValueType.IsNull enumeration type.

So if you need to determine whether a cell is empty or a cell value is empty, you can use the following sample code.

public static bool IsCellNull(Worksheet ws, int r, int c)
{
    Cell cellnull = ws.Cells.CheckCell(r, c);
    if (cellnull == null || cellnull.Type == CellValueType.IsNull)
    {
        return true;
    }
    return false;
}

Hope helps a bit.

Thnaks for this answer. Problem is that if checkcell returns null, cellnull.Type will throw an error. That’s why I did a two steps checking. In my opinion, checkcell should never return null but only a cell with IsNull Type

@olivier57
For performance and memory considerations, we will not build non-existent cells. If you need to have a cell object every time you visit, you can use the Cells[string cellName] and Cells[int row, int column] methods to get the cell object. But if you obtain cell objects on a large scale through the two methods, it will build many cell objects which are non-existent before , which will also affect performance.