Code samples

Hi

I am evaluating Aspose.Cells and Aspose.Words I'd like to start some simple tests like for example create a new spreadsheet, rename a sheet, assign a style to to a range, assign a value to a cell and save the file. Simple things.

What we are more concerned is performances has we have to code for a web app which will have many simultaneos requests for Office docs. After we spent weeks evaluating the new possibility of VSTO to support data islands and running the customized code on the client and after we realized we are not convinced at all of this solution we are investigating again server side solutions, not Office COM interfaces obviously.

Seems this set of .NET assemblies are quite well reported by software developers, well I downloaded the trial versions but I am struggling to find sample code like the above for example, someone can tell me where I can find that, possibly C#.

Rosario Carbone

Have you download our installation package? It includes all sample code for your need.

And you can check Aspose.Cells Documentation for more information about Aspose.Cells.

I create a piece of sample code according to your request, please try it.

//create a new spreadsheet

Excel excel = new Excel();

//add a new worksheet

excel.Worksheets.Add();

//rename the second sheet

excel.Worksheets[1].Name = "MyWorksheet";

//Put a value to cell A1 in the first worksheet

excel.Worksheets[0].Cells["A1"].PutValue("hello world");

// assign style to a cell

excel.Worksheets[0].Cells["A1"].Style.ForegroundColor = Color.Red;

excel.Worksheets[0].Cells["A1"].Style.Pattern = BackgroundType.Solid;

//there are some other ways to set style to a range, please check

//save the file

excel.Save("d:\\book1.xls");

Ok thanks Laurence.

I have a presentation to do on VSTO and thirdy part components as aspose for example. Essentially we need to implement a web app which is able to answers ordinary client request like serve up a result of a merge doc to the client, consider that the templates have to be built manually from the customers than I can't embed them in my project, there are many other standard functions which have to be implemented but don't matter now, the mergte mail is the main one anyway.

In few words this is what I think and I'd like to have your opinion:

VSTO. The Office object models and the Office primari Interop assemblies (PIAs).

What we had before .NET was VBA, a simple development environment integrated into the Office apps and a rich object model that was accessed via COM.

Unfortunately VBA is too simple, only VB, embedded into the docs and not .NET integrate and COM is too complicate, slow and unmanaged.

Visual Studio and .NET provided a way to address all these problems, solving the VBA limitations and get the power of .NET like OOP, exception handling, web services, code access security etc the answer is Microsoft VSTO.

What the keys goals?

1) VSTO is in Visual Studio, can get the power of .NET to put code behind Excel 2003 and Word 2003 docs and templates.

2) Can be programmed in VB.NET and C#.

3) The code is now always separated by the docs avoiding the risks of macro viruses thanks .NET code-access security.

4) Data-binding support.

5) Design time views.

6) Windows form controls support.

7) Server-side programming.

8) XML support for Word and Excel.

9) Document centric solution with managed code

11) Fields can be marked with [cached] attribute to provide serialization.

12) The ServerDocument class accesses cache without Office installed on the server.

13) XML schema based programming.

14) Managed ActionPane

15) Simplify the

Probably the most important scenario offered by VSTO are the data islands with data cached. A server can pre-populate or extract data without having to program Excel or Word, then a client offline can access the docs and its data.

Disadvantages.

1) Interop assemblies don’t need Office installed because they are OLE Objects,

they are COM wrapper, but they need COM interfaces with its overheads.

2) Deployment: Office professional Edition 2003, PIAs, VSTO runtime plus appropriate .NET security policies.

3) Performances and scalabilities, they are only wrappers around COM interfaces.

4) .NET code access security. Both the document and the related assembly must have full trust credential. Setting the security can be complicate or unsecure because it is based on “evidences”: Signing – Authenticode or strong names or trust location URL.

5) Not managed code.

6) All the documents templates for both Word and Excel are built by the user manually then templates are merged with datasources and a result is produced, a doc is saved or sent by email.

Rosario

Hi Rosario,

Generally I think our products can serve all your needs. For mail merge feature, please contact our Aspose.Words team at http://www.aspose.com/Community/Forums/75/ShowForum.aspx.